part 5

January 01, 2021
  2:07 pm
———

I woke up around 2 pm on the first.

For a few seconds, everything felt normal. I reached for my phone to call Drew but quickly realized that we were over.

I went to Snapchat Juliet or Meredith but then realized they probably don't want to talk to me anymore. Ivy probably wouldn't answer any of my texts either.

Rubbing my aching head, I flopped backward onto my bed. Did I make a colossal mistake last night?

No, I didn't.

It was for the best, Rebekah.

Drew deserves someone who's much better than me.

Someone who will patch up his tapestry that I shredded last night.

Someone who won't leave him crestfallen on the landing, right in front of our friends.

Our friends. Don't think I'll say that word again.

What a shame. Our group was evergreen. At least I enjoyed it while it lasted.

I knew from the start that we were cursed; nothing lasts forever.

And to think, soon they'll be decking the halls we once walked through. Carrying on with their lives, while I'm still right where they left me.

Tears started to stream down my face. Where do I even go from here? I ruined everything.

— — —

After an hour or so of self-loathing, I decided to get out of bed. I had shit to do and I sure as hell wouldn't let a mental breakdown get in my way.

I hopped in my car and went to the local supermarket.

I browsed the aisles, picking up milk, eggs, coffee, cereal, and other essentials.

"I heard about your son, Wendy. Poor boy," some woman said loudly from the next aisle over.

"Drew is devastated," another woman said.

I came to a halt, almost dropping the box of brownies I was holding.

Shit, I know that voice. It was Drew and Juliet's mom. Fuck, she better not see me here. Times like this made me wish I could turn invisible.

"So sad. The girl would've made such a lovely bride," the first woman said. "What a shame she's fucked in the head."

"I know. She's the maddest woman this town has ever seen," Wendy said with fake sympathy. "I don't know if I should be happy or angry about the rejection. And to think I gave him my ring to propose with!"

And there Wendy goes, playing the victim again.

"At least he won't have to deal with her champagne problems," The other woman scoffed loudly.

"Amen to that," Wendy laughed.

Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes. I swallowed the lump in my throat and put the brownie mix back. Brownies suddenly didn't seem appealing at all.

I pushed my cart to the end of the aisle and hightailed it out of there. I went to the self-checkout to pay for my groceries.

The rest of my day was spent in a daze. It was like I was there, but not at the same time.

The saddest part was that nobody called to check in on me. Looks like my mother was right, I was better off alone.

— — —