08 | Bone and Steel

Ciaran almost crashed into the redhead when she stormed from her assigned room and over to a sink, gripping it tightly with her one hand as she breathed heavily. Tears streamed down her face, and suddenly she shouted at the top of her lungs before proceeding to punch the wall as hard as she could.

     He stood in silence watching her, taking in her posture and wondering what the hell had triggered such behavior. Instead of speaking, he decided to remain silent and let her let it all out.

     Once. Twice. Three times. She punched the wall repeatedly, leaving dents and bloodying up her knuckles, but she didn't seem to mind the pain. After a long moment of standing there, she slumped to the ground, choking on sobs and covering her face with her hands. He had never seen her look so miserable before.

      "Looks like someone's in a cheerful mood."

      The girl's head shot up in what almost looked like alarm to him. "What the hell are you doing here?"

     "I could ask you the same question. Why the strangled sobs and screaming?"

      He had only just returned to the palace after completing a mission and was unaware of the events that had folded. Maybe she got in a fight with someone? This was normally why he hated leaving. Stuff always happened.

     The girl gave him a pointed look. "I don't see how that concerns you," her voice quivered as she spoke, and he noticed how she looked quite cautious of him.

     "I was merely curious." His voice was amused, not at all threatening as he leaned against the wall. He eyed her face, raising a brow when he saw the fresh cuts on her cheek that still bled freely. Now he was truly curious. What the hell had happened? "Who slapped you?"

     Kyran pursed her lips. "Her Majesty herself."

     The comment caused Ciaran to tilt his head in a wolf-like manner. Asteria hit her? "Why? Did you tick her off or something?"

     "That doesn't concern you." She bared her teeth at him, shakily getting to her feet. "Why are you even talking to me? I thought you hated me more than anyone else here?"

     He smiled slightly although it was more teeth than lip . "Not quite. In fact, you're almost seeming to grow on me, Foxy."

     "One, don't ever call me that again. I'm sick of nicknames. Two, I know you're a freaking liar."

     "I admit that I made a mistake back when I accused you of killing those people. I see that now. That's as close as an apology you'll get," He continued on, ignoring her words completely.

     She rolled her eyes. "Idiot," she mumbled more to herself, but loud enough for him to hear.

      Ciaran narrowed his eyes. "I don't like being insulted."

     "Well then you picked the wrong girl to have a conversation with, sweetheart," she mocked.

     "I see you haven't changed a bit."

     "You can't tame a wild soul with a single hit," her voice was bitter as she stared at something behind him, and he turned to see that she was watching Asteria leave the room. For a long moment, the two stared at one another, before Kyran muttered for the queen to hear, "I hate you." Her hand brushed the fresh wounds on her face, and she tore her gaze away, walking away from Asteria without looking back.

     "Likewise," The Queen hissed, glowering holes into her back. She caught Ciaran's stare and a knowing look flashed between them. He could tell she was beyond frustrated.