Chapter 20 - Warmth

"S-stop please! You're hurting me!" Third jolted up from the hospital bed gasping for air as he held his chest. His eyes were bleared with tears as he looked at his surroundings trying to process everything that had happened.

    "Hey...you're okay" Khai's soothing voice and hand on Third's lower back brought Third back to his senses. The haunting memories of last night filling his mind again.

    "Yeah...obviously I'm okay" Third wiped his eyes quickly, ashamed at his current state. The last thing he remembered was Khai's words: I see passion and strength driven by a fire that can never be extinguished. Third must have fallen asleep to Khai's warmth. Third couldn't distinguish whether the warmth that lulled him to sleep was from Khai's embrace or words, it must have been a mix of both. However, as these words echoed in Third's head they didn't become any more believable to him. "Where's Kao?"

    Khai could sense the fear in Third's dark eyes. He must think Kao regrets meeting him. "He went home with his boyfriend last night. Last I heard from Pete, they are getting breakfast for all of us...Well more like lunch. It's already 12."

    "Oh...they don't have to do that" Third bit his lip before bringing his hand up to Khai's face, "Have you been here all night? Please tell me you went home and got some rest..."

    "Sorry, I would have to lie to tell you that" Khai said as he took Third's hand in his, "I wanted to stay with you. There's no way I would leave you here alone" Khai shook his head, "Don't worry though. Bone and Two fetched me a toothbrush and toothpaste so my breath smells minty fresh."

    "That's not my main concern!" A small laugh slipped from Third's lips as he pushed Khai's shoulders.

    "Don't be shy, I know you're turned on by fresh breath" Khai joked.

    "You're an idiot, you know that?"

    "Oh so you like when people have bad breath?" Khai feigned a shocked expression.

    "Shut the hell up, will you? Who in their right mind would like bad smelling breath? You know what, why am I even responding to a clown right now? You're wasting my time" Third rolled his eyes.

    "Well I personally don't think making you smile is ever a waste of time" Khai smirked as he leaned back in the chair positioned by Third's hospital bed.

    "And what makes you think I'm smiling?"

    "Well a smile is when the corners of the mouth turn up and that seems to be what you're doing."

    "Don't be a smartass" Third laughed.

    "You asked, I answered" Khai shrugged with a soft smile of his own.

    "Sorry to interrupt whatever this is" Kao laughed making the two aware of his arrival.

    "You'll get used to it...or maybe not" Two shook his head.

    Khai rolled his eyes, "You're just jealous of our chemistry."

    "Well I'll admit that you guys have possibly the strangest chemistry I've encountered" Two rolled his eyes. 

    "I'll second that" Bone laughed.

    "Move out of the way people. Let me put these bags of food down will you?" Pete said as he shoved his way through the group.

    "Sorry, he's like that" Kao laughed as he rubbed the back of his neck and sat by Third's side.

    "Like what?" Pete raised his eyebrow.