Chapter Seven

Marley checked and then re-checked the address. She didn't need to. She had it memorized but still, she double-checked that the tall brownstone that she stood in front of was indeed Felix's house. It was.

She could see movement inside, warm lights emanating from the bay windows on both sides of the front door, a Christmas tree standing in the left one.

Marley had never had much of a reason to explore this particular neighborhood. She didn't know anyone wealthy enough to live here nor did the catering company she worked with occasionally ever do parties in homes this nice. She had taken her time wandering down the street, admiring the Christmas decorations lighting up the homes, looking up into the bare branches above to the pitch-black sky overhead.

Even at a leisurely pace, meandering from the subway stop three blocks away, Marley still arrived at the bottom of the stairs leading up to Felix's home right on time, 7 o'clock.

Dang it.

She was going over train schedules in her mind (having spent a third of her afternoon memorizing Felix's address, the second third memorizing that evening's train schedule and the last third vaguely attempting to work on her schoolwork) when the front door opened.

There stood Felix with what looked like a little boy attached to his leg and an even smaller girl attached to his back. Light poured out around him, floating along with it faint strands of some kind of Christmas music.

"So they weren't lying. Gabe here was certain there was a stranger standing at the bottom of the stairs looking at the house. What are you doing down there? Come on in!"

Felix lifted his right leg first, taking with him the small boy holding on for dear life, to move out of the doorway and gesture Marley to welcome.

She found she was smiling and already climbing the stairs before she could remember when the next train back to the Hamptons was.

"Thanks. Wow. This place is incredible."

Looking around, the chill Marley had brought in with her melted off her shoulders in the warm atmosphere and her eyes widened at the sight of the entryway, living room, and dining room all decked out, floor to ceiling, in Christmas decorations.

She was calculating whether or not her apartment could fit in this entryway when Felix gestured for her jacket. She let him take it, along with her scarf and beanie.

"I'm glad you could make it. Ivy, you want to show our guest to the living room?"

Felix had to coax the little girl down from his back before she finally slid down to the ground. Felix could, once again, stand up straight.

"This way," The small girl pronounced with an air of grace and poise. Marley was aware that her posture was straighter than her own and pulled her shoulders back self-consciously.

"Marley, I'd like you to meet my niece, Ivy, and this rascal here," Felix introduced his nephew through gritted teeth while he struggled to get him to detach from his leg. "This is Gabriel. Can we say hi to Marley?"

"Hi, Marley," They sang out in unison if a little off-key.

"It's nice to meet you."

"Why don't you two go see if your mom needs any help?"

They scampered off in the direction of the dining room and left Marley and Felix alone in the living room.

She couldn't help but look around. The ceilings vaulted overhead and ornate molding lined the top of the walls. The Christmas tree standing in the corner towered almost to the ceiling and all Marley could think about was the squat little blue spruce, decorated haphazardly with home-made ornaments and the strings of lights that only half-worked, that stood wilting her own living room.