last night... and the nights after that

Last Night... And the Nights After That (Short Story)

I want you to move on, Vach. Live your life... without me.

Vach closed his eyes as he held tightly on the metal rod where you hold for support when you're inside a train. He remembered his one true love's words... live your life, without me. He smirked, he found it silly at the time when First said that to him on his deathbed.

But here he is now.

Be spontaneous. Don't plan everything. Just go with the flow and let life lead the way.

"You better be right," Vach whispered to himself, referring to what First said.

This was his first time riding a train because he was used to riding his car to anywhere with his love, even after the latter died. He didn't want to let go of the lifestyle he was used to, but it's almost a year, and Vach... felt like it was time to move forward.

The door of the train opened, welcoming the passengers to this station. And one guy caught his eye but as soon as their eyes met, he immediately looked away.

"Hi..." The tall guy said. Vach turned his head sideways and saw that the guy was already standing beside him. There were a few vacant chairs on the train but... the stranger chose to stand beside him.

His lips parted, not knowing what to do. But since he wasn't rude, he threw the guy a glance and slightly nodded at him. "Hello."

He wasn't also the type to talk to strangers but it was his first time in public transportation and he thought it was imperative to make small talk with other passengers. He didn't know how commuting works, but the guy looks decent and trustworthy so... why not?

"Sorry, you might think I'm weird." The stranger smiled, revealing his bunny-like teeth, and Vach can't help but awe at the beauty of the person in front of him.

The man... he was glowing like he's a walking sunshine and rainbows, contrary to Vach, who became dark and twisted especially when First passed away. He averted his gaze. First is way more handsome though, he thought to himself.

"No, it's fine," Vach said with his usual poker face.

"Man, you are not a fan of smiling, huh?" He smiled. "You know I can tell that this is your first time riding a train, right?"

"How'd you know?"

"Well, I've been riding this train for almost all my life. I know everyone." The stranger chuckled. "I used to have someone ride here with me so I didn't care about anyone. I would only talk to him. But when he died, I had the time to observe. I didn't have anyone to talk to anymore so... I had the time. And this was the first time I'm seeing you."

Vach was a bit surprised at what the man said. He wasn't expecting him to open up just like that but there he was, exposing his deepest secrets like it was nothing, like his eyes didn't turn from sunshines and sunflowers to rainstorms and thunders.

"I'm Win, by the way." The stranger—Win, extended his hand to Bright while sporting the widest smile he has ever seen. "You are?"

Vach contemplated for a second. He's not looking for love or anything right now. He sure as hell wasn't ready for that. But he was so tired of feeling lonely and he needed some kind of distraction. But if he was going to do this, he needed to start fresh... and maybe, he can start with his name.

He shook Win's hand firmly, grasping the soft skin of the man's hand. "Vac— I mean, Bright. I'm Bright."

"Nice to meet you, Bright." Win smiled. "What station are you going to?"