Chapter 2

Written 12-22-20

"Cristiano" I kept repeating it to myself over and over again in the car on the way home. I could tell Luca noticed, but he didn't say anything. Luca had been protecting my family since before I was born. He had been there that night. The night I lost my parents.

"Giada?" Suddenly I snap back into reality. I need to stop drifting off so much.

"Yes?"

"We're home." He said with an almost pitiful look on his face. Luca must have known how nervous I was to leave for Italy. He ushered me out of the car and into the house. I went to bed that night but couldn't sleep. My mind was racing. Once I left New York I would probably never come back unless my husband wanted to. I also couldn't stop thinking about him. I knew nothing about my Fiancé. I had only seen him one time. My parents funeral. I quickly shook that memory out of my head, and began to repeat his name again. Cristiano.

The next two days went by in a flash. Everyone was running around, packing my things, deciding who was going to take care of what, planning out what I was wearing. My whole life had always been this way, I had never made a decision for myself. Next thing I know, we are pulling up to the airport, where a private plane is waiting. I don't want to get on that plane. I want to stay in New York. But again, it's not my choice. My door opens and Luca helps me out of the car. I start to walk towards the plane, but Luca stops me.

"Gia, you will be so missed. Your parents would be so proud of you for doing this." He says while smiling, it seems as if he is holding back tears.

"Thank you Luca. I will miss you too. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you protecting me all these years."

I reach my hand out to shake his. He suddenly grabs me into a hug. And he whispers

"Trust no one Gia. Not even your husband. These are dangerous people who could kill you with a snap of their fingers."

He looks at me one more time before turning around and walking back to the car. I almost feel numb. That's the advice he is going to leave me with? I know it's true though. I am going to marry into the most dangerous family in the world. Suddenly I feel a hand on my back. I turn around to see Diavolo.

"Miss Benetti! We should get going if we want to be in Italy before dark."

I just nod my head and let him walk me on to the plane. I resented the fact that he would be escorting me to Italy. Typically the mother or father of the groom would escort the bride-to-be. But Cristiano's parents had been killed 2 years earlier. I remember one of my maids telling me. Someone had planted a bomb in the engine. So as soon as the ignition was turned on, the car exploded killing everyone inside. This made me feel for Cristiano. At least we had something in common. Both of our parents were brutally murdered.

"Would you like anything to drink Giada?" Diavolo asked as if it was a quiz.

"No, thank you." I replied with a fake smile. Diavolo hadn't even done anything wrong. I just got a bad feeling from him. I didn't like him.

"Alright then. We should arrive in Italy in a few hours."

With that I relaxed. I figured I might as well enjoy the last moments of peace and solitary that I have. I still couldn't sleep though. I was too nervous. My weight seemed to be dropping too. When I was getting measured last week for my dress I was two sizes smaller than usual. Again, I was practically too nervous to do anything. And being married to an apparent monster wasn't going to make my life any less stressful.

Diavolo was staring at me the entire flight. I never glanced at him though. Every little movement in the mafia meant something. Looking at someone in eye might just get you killed. I couldn't stop thinking about what Luca said.

"Trust no one Gia."

Sorry my first few chapters are going to be really short. I promise that after the first 3 the story really gets moving and exciting. Thank you for reading and don't forget to like and comment!