Chapter three

One day, six months after the death of his father, he decided to visit home, to see his mother and then take off again. Staying wasn’t on his agenda.

On his way, he’d stopped at a village due to his broken truck. It had developed a mechanical fault and had stopped in front of a house that was almost at the end of the village.

While Ado, his travelling companion had gone to Gaji to fetch a Mechanic, he became thirsty and needed water. 

He usually bought it from where ever he went to. But no one sold water in these parts.

People usually offered it for free. All that was needed was for one to ask. He hadn’t been away for too long not to remember that, surely.

He then looked ahead of him, the mud house almost stood alone from the rest of the village.

He remembered going through the village previously and had not seen the particular house.

It must be new. He half-prayed for anyone to pop out from the house so he could ask for water to drink.

It wasn’t his lucky day as not a single chicken did.
Huffing out some air from his lungs, he’d boldly approached the house and stopped a few meters away before raising his voice with the salam more than three times.

PHe was about to turn away after considering the next house when a very beautiful girl appeared at the doorway.

She wasn’t too tall, but was fair in complexion, like a Fulani tribal girl. She wore the ankara, though the dress material was different from the wrapper, she tied it very well and looked pretty in them too.

She wasn’t covered with the veil and her slim figure appealed to him. She was pleasing to look at with the eyes.

She spoke in a soft but raised voice so he could hear her,

“My father is not at home.” She had concluded his reason for being there.

He just smiled, “Does that mean that I cannot get a cup of water? I am thirsty.”

It was a dose of his charm he had displayed for he couldn’t afford some young girl to scream and shout the wrong scenario to drag unnecessary attention.

She seemed mesmerized and smiled too. Then suddenly the world seemed to have stopped for him.

He had met with many pretty girls, but she somehow, stood out.

“I am sorry. I will get you some right away.” She disappeared, which made him miss her presence. 

It almost scared him then as he stood glued to the ground and waited.

She hurriedly went back with a drinking clay bowl filled with water.

He drank it up all at once. The water was so cool and soothing. He’d asked for another, to which she obliged with her warm smile.

He was impressed by not just her mesmerizing beauty but by her innocence as well.

He smiled too, thanked her and asked for her name. She was a bit reluctant but gave it to him anyway, “My name is Khadija.”

“Your father thought well to give such beautiful name to a beautiful lady.”

He’d flirted, she’d looked away timidly and something primitive in him stirred.

“Aren’t you going to ask me for mine?” His voice croaked a little and he cleared it.

She’d looked at him a bit and ducked her head low, before asking, “Are you new here?”