Chapter 26

"Hey James!" Katie said and she engulfed me in a hug. "I've missed you so much!"

I gave her a tight hug back. "I've missed you, too." I mumbled.

She pulled back, still holding me at arms length. "How have you been?" Her eyes were full of sadness. "Danny hasn't been giving us many updates."

I shook my head. "I needed a break. From everyone. Everything." It was nice to be truthful.

She made a face before tilting her head to the side. "Hun, does Danny even know you left?"

"No," I said, my voice small. "I just needed to get away. I didn't want anyone to stop me."

She let out a sigh and shook her head. "They'll all be going crazy looking for you," she responded. "But, that's okay... We'll make you feel better. Now let's go, Bobby is waiting at the car."

I smiled and nodded. "I knew you were my best friend for a reason!"

"You will be going back home though." She sounded determined, just as she always was.

When we got to the car, Bobby was happy to greet me with a big hug. "Hey girl! How have you been!?" He asked as we pulled from each other.

"Okay. Just needed time to get my head on straight," I replied. "Thanks for picking me up."

"Not a prob. Are you staying at ours too?" He asked as Katie put my bag into the car.

"For a day or two... Then I'll stay with my parents. I do wanna go see grandpa, too," I told them. We all slid into the car and were on the way home.

** Danny's POV **

I plopped down on the edge of the tub as I gripped the piece of paper and her ring in my hand. This couldn't be. She couldn't have left. Not like that.

Not when I told her I loved her no matter what. She was just going through a rough patch... That didn't mean I didn't love her... or didn't want to stay with her. She was my heart and soul no matter what.

My heart cracked as I stared down at the paper again, trying to comprehend what was written. Olivia? Where did she get the idea that I should be with her? Besides the fact, never in a million years would Olivia be mother material. She'd be the type to have the kid in fake tans at age 3.

I shook my head. Did Penny come over? Was she the one that convinced Jamie to leave? Where was Jamie?

My breath hitched as I realized it... Jules got me out so Jamie could leave. My own best friend. I thought he wanted what was best for me? We all knew that was Jamie. She made me a better person... Everyone knew that...

The anger began to build in my chest, but all that overtook it was sadness and heartbreak...

The paper slowly fell out of my hand as I gripped the ring extremely tight. Tears began to form in my eyes as I brought my fisted hand up to my forehead. Why did she go? She had to be close... Was she okay?

My phone began to ring in my pocket. I jumped up and hit answer without checking who it was. "Jamie?! Is that you? Please tell me you're okay!"

"Danny?!" Penny's accent came through, sounding urgent. "I never came over! Where did she go?"

My heart began to hurt even more. I'd blamed my best friend without knowing what was really happening. I did it to myself, but I felt like I was already being kicked while I was down.

"Sh-she left a note... She's gone." I could feel it in my chest as it began to tighten. "She's left." My crying became more evident as I shook my head.

"Danny? Please just... Don't do anything stupid... Leo and I will be right over..." was all I heard before the line was disconnected.

I couldn't bring myself to move from where I was. All I wanted to do was sit there, hold her ring, and pray that she'd come back. I moved to the ground and pulled my knees up to my chest. I was worthless.

"Danny, where are you?!" Penny's voice echoed down the hall. "Danny?"

Nothing came from my mouth as tears continued to fall from my face. Her ring was still in my clenched hand.

"Danny? Are you in here?" Penny's voice was now coming from the bedroom.

"Yeah..." I mumbled, so quiet I couldn't hear myself.

She came rushing through the door and stopped dead in her tracks. "What happened!?" She asked. Her eyes were wide as she looked down at me.

I shook my head as I nodded to the note sitting on the ground next to me. She moved to pick it up. Her eyes quickly read over the note before pulling it away and plopping down next to me.

"Are you okay?" She asked, her green eyes looking directly at me.

"No," I mumbled. "She left." I felt helpless as she looked back at me.

"Come here," she said as she opened her arms. I leaned into her and rested my head on her shoulder. "She'll be back soon."

"She doesn't want to even see me. She thinks I'd be better off with someone else." Tears continued to fall down my face. "Where did I go wrong? Do I not love her enough?"

"No," Penny instantly replied as she ran a hand up and down my arm. "She's just going through a lot, too. She probably needed to clear her head... Even if it was wrong for her to leave like that."

"She just... Penny." I choked on a sob and shook my head.

Before she could say another word, Julian's voice filled the room. "What happened!? Where is Jamie? Is she okay!"

I flinched and sat up, looking up at Julian as Penny dropped her arm from around me. "She left this," Penny said, as she handed the note to him.

His eyes furiously moved across the page before looking back at the two of us. "Fucking Olivia!? Why would you want to be with her!? Where is Jamie!?"

"I don't know..."

"I tried calling on the way here and never got an answer. We can all try. And I can call Gisele," Penny said. She looked at me with a sad face. "We'll get to the bottom of this. We'll get her home to you."

**
Hope everyone has a merry Christmas!