Part 10: Mindset

~

Allison dusted her dress as soon as she got out of the cab. She stares at the large building that stood before her. Random thoughts ran through her mind as she walks up to the large door, and cautiously pressed the doorbell beside it. When no one had answered, she took it upon herself to walk towards the back in hopes of finding someone.

She squinted her eyes when she sees a figure, floating in the pool. When she realizes the familiar face of the person, her eyes widen and a grin crept up her lips. "Klaus?" She announces, the joy she felt had bubbled inside her. "Oh my god--Klaus!"

Allison ran up to her brother in the pool after taking off her heels, not caring if her dress gets wet. Klaus scoffs in amusement as he fell from his floatie to also ran up to his sister. "Allison!" He exclaims, and they both shared a warm (or cold, because of the pool) embrace.

"Oh my god. It's been so long!"

"I thought you were--dead!" 

Allison gives him a sad smile, making him shake his head. "I thought I was the only one left." Klaus added and Allison nodded in agreement. "I-I know. Me too."

Klaus ushers her to the edge of the pool. "Hey, sit down. Sit down." He gently pushes her, and as soon as Allison had taken her seat, Klaus laid back on his floatie.

"So, you want to catch me up on how you ended up in a place like this?" Allison gives him a smug look, earning a chuckle from him. Klaus stretched his arms, "Oh, you know... Dicks, drugs, debutantes. My holy trinity. But, yeah, it's been a wild run."

"Klaus, you started a cult," Allison points out, and Klaus exaggeratedly sighs. Klaus clasped his hands together, "Well, 'Cult' is a very negative word, Allison. We prefer to call it, 'an alternative spiritual community'."

Allison hums in response and shakes her head. "Hmm, nope. You definitely started a cult."

Even if Klaus was wearing shades, Allison could still see him rolling his eyes at her. "Alright, alright, alright. What about you? What have you been up to?" Klaus asks.

"Uh, well, I'm living in South Dallas, working as a civil rights organizer."

"Wow."

"With my husband."

Klaus gasped, "You're married? Who's this lunatic?"

Allison laughs loudly, "His name is Raymond Chestnut. Ray."

"Wait, is he locked up right now?"

"Yeah, how did you know about that?"

"Yeah, yeah. We did time together. Wow, small world."

Allison sadly smiles at him, sighing. "We organized a really big sit-in at a lunch counter today. And then Ray got arrested on some bullshit charge, and... I can't get him out."

"Hello? Why didn't you just rumor him out?" Klaus asks in a matter-of-fact kind of tone. Allison shakes her head at him. "I haven't used my powers since... You know, the thing with Vanya. I couldn't speak for a year." She tells him.

Klaus gives her a reassuring smile, "Oh, I'm so sorry, Allison."

"No, it's okay. I actually really like who I am without it. Everything I have, I've earned, and it feels really good. You know?"

(cont.)

A police officer on duty behind a desk rubs his hands together after opening his lunch. He was caught off guard when the lights in the precinct started flickering, and he looked over his sandwich. Sudden holes started appearing on his sandwich, and the officer backed away in fright when it started to float mid-air. "W-what in tarnation..."