Chapter 4: No Help

(not too much happens in this chapter, it's more of a transitional chapter

(not too much happens in this chapter, it's more of a transitional chapter. There will be more in the next one <3)

Y/N P.O.V.

Enola and I sat side by side in the carriage, facing her two brothers. I felt awkward sitting around with this tension in the air. Enola barely knows her brothers, they might as well be strangers to her. But that didn't matter, because Enola was always been a sociable person. She seemed relaxed the entire ride back to the house.

If it was weird for me, I can't even think how strange her brothers might have felt. They have no idea who I am. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Mycroft speak up.

"Oh, dear God, look at the house." he said. Enola and I turned our heads, noticing we finally reached. Enola smiled and said "Isn't it wonderful?". To Enola and I it was. That vine covered house was a place where I've made memories so quickly and the place I go where I can feel carefree. The last time Sherlock and Mycroft saw the house, it was probably spotless so I guess this was a surprise to them.

"What the hell has she been playing at?" Mycroft said in a low voice. As we got out of the carriage and approached the entrance, Mrs. Lane exited the house. "Gentlemen, welcome home. It's been some time." Mrs. Lane said welcoming them into the house.

We all entered the house together and the brothers looked around. To Enola and I, the inside of the house as it did on any other normal day. When I looked over at Mycroft, I saw him making confused and disgusted faces. Mycroft picked up a racket turned to us "What is this?" he asked the both of us. "Tennis?" I said in a more question tone, thinking I'm saying something wrong. Enola turns to Sherlock and smile saying "Mother says we're getting quite proficient."

For a second I thought about all the times Enola and I played tennis with her mother inside the house. While it was a lot a fun, we also had a tendency to break items in the house but it never mattered because her mother would always say something along the lines of "I suppose that's game." We kept score on the wall, which added... character to the room I guess

"Where the hell is she?" Mycroft asked after putting down the racket. "If we knew you wouldn't be here would you?" I mumbled only for me to hear. While Sherlock walked off in the same direction as his brother, Enola leaned to me and whispered "I would say this is going quite well, wouldn't you?"

The two of them looked through their mother's room and analyzed everything that didn't seem right to them. They point out the minor details like her bed not being made, her clothes not being put away, the chrysanthemums that have t been watered in days. "Enough with the bally flowers, Sherlock" Mycroft scoffed.

"It wasn't foul play" Sherlock stated while looking through her art supply. "How? Are you certain?" I questioned from my spot at the doorway. "Her regular supply of drawing pencils had dwindled to nothing. She clearly had decided not to replace them, and you rarely find that kidnap victims have planned for their own disappearance."

Sherlock brought up the possibility of Eudoria not intending on coming back. That doesn't seem like her though. If she left without planning on returning, she would tell us, right? Enola finally joined the rest of us and stood next to me at the doorway. I was lost in my own thoughts but came back to reality after seeing Mycroft roll his eyes at the cover of a book.

"Oh, good God! Feminism. Perhaps she was mad, or senile" He said in a distasteful tone. Enola and I couldn't help but mock him. Rolling our eyes and exaggerating his words, too busy teasing to pay any kind of attention to their conversation. "Enola?" Sherlock's voice caught our attention. "You at least had a governess?" he asked.

Enola and I looked at each other, staying quiet. I had a governess, of course because my parents insisted on it. Though, I haven't spent much time with her ever since I started hanging out with Enola on a daily basis.

Enola stood up straight and crossed her arms. "She wouldn't like you in here. This is her private space." she stated. The two brothers looked at each other before Sherlock spoke again "Tell me, she at leaSt saw that you had an education? She valued education".

"She taught me herself. She made me read every book in Ferndell Hall's library." she said in a matter of fact tone. "Shakespeare, Locke, and the encyclopedia, and Thackeray, and the essays of Mary Wollstonecraft. I did it on my own account. For my own learning."

It was never a question to me if Enola was intelligent. She's probably the most intelligent person I know, and yet I still get amazed. Enola always strived to be the best she could be.

"She will return, won't she, Sherlock?" Enola asked. When he stayed silent, I knew he didn't have anything positive to say.

They had seemed to give up on searching her room. The two of them simply left Enola and I behind to go talk with each other. It didn't seem like they planned on searching for her. All this trouble, and they were no help to us.

____

A few days have past since Sherlock and Mycroft's first visit. I haven't seen Enola in those few days. Since their mother is gone, Enola is under Mycroft's supervision. He hired people he thought would help her "fit into society". He plans on sending her to finishing school to learn how to become a young lady. I know Enola well enough to know that she's probably being stubborn about all this. She doesn't care what anyone thinks about her, so this is most likely ridiculous to her more than anything.

Since I haven't been at her house, it means I was finally forced to make up all the time I missed with my governess. My parents asked me why I haven't been visiting the boy they think I'm interested in. I told them his family went out of town. As much as I enjoy spending time with my brother, I know he has other things he would like to attend to, which leaves me bored an alone.

I'm not sure when I'll see Enola again. I don't even know if she's already left for Miss Harrison's school. I just hope that she hasn't so I could say goodbye before she goes. Enola will figure something out. She always does.