Chapter 5

The walk to Murasakibara's place was quick after the pair retrieved their snacks for the night. The lights at his place were off and he spoke once he got to the door.

"Oh, I guess my parents are out."

Cassie looked to the windows and saw no movement, but she paid no mind as they entered his house.

"You can get comfortable in the living room." He pointed to a hallway. "I'm gonna go and get changed."

"Alright." Cassie went down the hallway, in which he directed.

She got to the living room before hearing the door upstairs open and close. She stared at the room feeling like it was much smaller now that she stood inside it. Something dawned on her.

"Man, I didn't even realize I was going over to someone's house... especially a boy's house." Cassie sat down at the table. "Why didn't I realize this was happening? Maybe because it's Murasaki? I mean, he's not exactly someone I'm worried about. Then it's fine... but are we really alone?" She let out a soft groan. "Look, it's not that serious. Just relax and this'll be like every other time we work together." Cassie occupied herself with getting her books out, finding the right notebook and getting her pencil out.

Murasakibara made his way to the living room shortly after and found Cassie digging through the contents of her bag.

"Where is my notebook..." She quietly asked herself.

"What are you talking about?"

Cassie's head shot in his direction. "When'd you get down here?"

"Just now." He walked past her and sat on the other side of the table. "Anyways, why are you looking for a notebook you never use?"

"I do use notebooks." She retorted.

"Yeah, for sports stuff. I've never seen you studying anything that wasn't in a textbook."

Cassie looked off before quietly returning her bag to her side.

"Right... I actually don't take notes huh?" Cassie huffed and moved on. "But we should hurry this up."

"Why?"

"Because I was thinking of researching players with your build; maybe I could find something that would give you a competitive edge!"

Cassie never looked at him directly while talking, it was just a sentence she spoke with a scripted nature behind it. Despite how happy she appeared, her tone didn't quite match.
Much like when her phone went off before, she seemed to be forcing herself to respond. Murasakibara's brows furrowed, but this time he spoke his concerns.

"What's with that? You're always so eager to help me and always saying I need to do...whatever. If you've seen me play, then why bother?"

Cassie stared at him. Her eyes then wandered around the room and she pushed out a smile.

"I know, I take things a little too seriously right?" She forced out a giggle. "It's not unusual for people to think that. I'm sorry if I'm doing too much, I'll try to tone it down..." Cassie flipped the pages in her text book. "Let's just work now."

Murasakibara could almost hear how her tone fell further. Her smile was still on her face despite that.

"Cas-chin?"

Cassie looked at him and seemed concerned.

"Never mind," Murasakibara said.

"What?"

Murasakibara found the candy they bought and offered her some. "Want some?"

She shook her head. "That flavor is nasty, how do you eat those?"