Prologue: Damned

"Oh, child. Why do you hesitate? Do it. Slice my throat! Impale my heart! End my suffering to spare your own!"

The woman was crazy. Deranged brown eyes bore daggers into the young boy standing before her. A toothless grin split her chapped lips and one hand was balled into a fist, the contents held within the lanky, work-worn fingers unknown.

Standing before her was a young boy, appearing no older than eleven or twelve. His hair was a wild mess of blonde tangles and, despite the frightening sight of the lady that he appeared to have cornered, he held his chin high with an almost stupid confidence.

"What would I gain from killing you? You, who stands defenseless and unstable before me. I would be better off with the likes of a rat." the boy muttered with a barely concealed disdain veiling his voice. The woman gargled incoherent words of a language foreign to the ears of the boy.

He scoffed and looked out of the window to his side where he could see large men running about. These were his men. They shouted orders back and forth to each other, and the occasional high-pitched scream rang through the merciless morning air as hiding places were discovered, their habitants shown no mercy. These were noises that he had grown used to.

"Do you hear that?" he inquired once the babbling of the woman had come to a timely end. He glanced back to her and continued in a voice slathered with cheekiness. He knew no better at the time- had been raised knowing to do just what he was doing,"That noise means people are dying, and you wish to join their ranks? Do they sound as if they are enjoying theirselves to you?"

The woman lunged forward like a drunkard,"Of course not, boy! I know better! I would rather my spirit join their's than wander alone in death. It is not an unreasonable request seeing as how you plan to kill me anyway. Just end me and be done with it, why don't you? I declare this your last chance, boy! If I fail to be wandering among my lost brothers and sisters in the next moments, I can promise that the remainder of your life will be that of misery."

If there was one thing that the boy despised with his entire being, it was being told what to do and when. He took orders from nobody. He leaned forward and bent down so as to whisper in the woman's ear.

"Oddly, I am feeling merciful today. Nothing wrong with a show of compassion, would you not agree?"

That was when a horrible sound burst from her lips. It was like nothing the boy had ever heard before, but he maintained his position out of the utter shock gripping his body. The woman's bony hand shot out and clutched his throat. It felt bumpy and wet against his skin and it occurred to him that whatever it was that was on her hand was heating up.

It got gradually hotter and hotter until he was sure that the stories he had heard of some place called Hell were true. It was burning within the confines of his throat and setting his body ablaze with an invisible flame, one that prevented any sound from escaping his body.

He was left with no choice but to stand there, pain engulfing his body and his strained gaze focused upon the glare of the deranged woman.

Each time he felt an increase in heat pulse through him, the brown color of her eyes faded until there was nothing but the whites remaining. None too soon, it was over. The woman ripped her fingers away from his throat and smiled that toothless smile. In a voice as sweet as honey, she spoke.

"Mathias Kohler, you shall someday feel a compassion that you failed to show today. It will engulf you like the heat and devour you in flames, but will prove useless in the end."

"Your one true love shall fall at your own hands."

Soundlessly, the woman crumpled to the ground in an unmoving heap.

SOO... What do you guys think about a DenNor fanfiction, huh? ;)

Worry you not, as it shall not interfere with the updating of my precious Lietpol story. This project is one that I had a sudden burst of inspiration for and simply hope to work on in my freetime! So...

Tell me what you think!