Chapter Twelve

Base Hospital 25, 1918

Everyone was running around the hospital preparing for the wounded that would soon arrive from the Amiens. Soon the ambulance arrived and everyone flocked to them. One by one the wounded were carried out and into the hospital, but two of the wounded made Eve freeze. It was Matthew and William. She was broken out of her trace when one of the nurses placed their hand on her shoulder.

"Are you alright, Eve?"

"I'm fine, Annie. Thank you for asking," She answered.

After getting all of the wounded off the ambulance and into the hospital, Eve went to find Colonel Blake getting ready for surgery.

"Colonel Blake, Sir."

"Yes, Matron De La Cruz?"

"I have come to ask if I may take leave just for five days?" Eve asked

"And why is that, Matron?" Colonel Blake inquired.

"Two of the wounded that arrived are Captain Crawley and Private Mason," She answered, "And I hoping that you will allow me to tend to them as they return to England and stay with them a few days."

"I suppose it can be allowed, but I want you back in five days as you said. We'll let your family know of your arrival as well as Captain Crawley's and Private Mason's."

"Of course, Sir," Eve nodded before going to prepare for surgery.

When her shift in surgery was over, Eve gathered what she would need before joining William and Matthew, both unconscious, and they were taken away in the motor.

After almost two hours at sea, the three of them arrived back in England. Eve informed the army medics and drivers there of Matthew's and William's condition before helping them get the wounded onto the ambulances to be taken to the hospitals. Eve joined Matthew in the same ambulance to be taken to the hospital in their village.

When they had arrived at the hospital, Branson had informed her that the Dowager Countess had demanded that she return to Downton Abbey the moment she arrived. Eve debated for a movement before following him to the motor to be taken to Downton.

Upon her arrival at Downton, Eve stepped out of the motor and went inside, but was stopped by her Grandmother and her cousin, Edith.

"Oh, good. You're here," Violet said, "We need to leave right away."

"Leave? But I just got here?" Eve questioned, giving her grandmother a confused look.

"I had just talked to Shrimpie. He helped us get William transferred from the hospital in Leeds to here. Quickly, Mr. Mason and William are waiting for us," She answered before walking outside to the car. Eve and Edith looked at each other before following their grandmother to the motor.

In the Leeds General Infirmary, Mr. Mason sits by his son's bedside while Violet, Eve, and Edith speak with Doctor Morton.

"And has Lord Flincher's order been acted on?" Violet asked.

"It has. There's an ambulance waiting," Doctor Morton answered, "Although, no one quite knows how you managed it."

"What exactly is the matter with him?" She inquired.

"His body's sustained too much damage. He cannot recover," He informed her.

"But he looks so normal."

"Appearances can be cruelly deceptive. The force of the blast has fatally injured his lungs."

"But if he's lived this long..." Edith began.