Chapter Two

October 1912

Mary and Eve ride their horses to invite Mrs. Isobel Crawley and her son, Matthew, the new heir of Downton Abbey for dinner at the request of Cora. The mother and son were staying at Crawley House. While Mary rode sidesaddle, Eve rode astride, much to her uncle's chagrin, but she wore a big enough skirt to cover one of her legs. Eve also wore pants under her skirt. The skirt was also detachable, so all she had to do was unclasp the hooks, and she could remove it.

When they arrived at the house, Lynch watched the horses while Mary and Eve walked inside to meet Matthew Crawley and his mother. The housemaid welcomes them in, and as they enter the house, they hear Matthew and Mrs. Isobel Crawley talking in the sitting room.

"What on earth do you mean?" Isobel asked.

"Well, they're clearly going to push one of the daughters or the cousin at me. They'll have fixed on that when they heard I was a bachelor," Matthew said.

Mr. Molesley enters the room and announces Mary and Eve's arrival, "Lady Mary Crawley and The Honorable Miss Eve De La Cruz."

Matthew turned around and his stunned by Mary.

"I do hope We're not interrupting," Mary said.

Isobel curtsies a little, "Lady Mary. Miss Eve."

"Cousin Mary and Cousin Eve, please," Mary insisted, "Mama has sent us down to welcome you and to ask you to dine with us tonight. Unless you're too tired."

"We would be delighted," Isobel smiled.

"Good," Mary nodded, "Come at eight," She and Eve turned to leave.

"Won't you stay and have some tea?" Isobel asked them.

"Oh, no. You're far too busy. My cousin has to get home for her to change before leaving for her shift at the Hospital," Mary looks at Matthew, "And we wouldn't want to push in."

Mary and Eve leave the drawing room and go outside before mounting their horses.

"Lynch, I think we'll go back by the south road," Mary said.

"Very good, Milady."

Eve noticed Matthew had come out of the house.

"Lady Mary. Miss Eve. I hope you didn't misunderstand me. I was only joking," Matthew said.

"Of course. And I agree. The whole thing is a complete Joke," Mary then rides off with Lynch, but Eve stays behind.

"Don't worry, Matthew. Mary tends to be cold at first, but give her time, and she will warm up to you. And, I just want to say, welcome to Downton," Eve rides off and catches up with Mary and Lynch.

When they arrived at Downton, Eve went to her room and dressed for her shift. Her time at the hospital flew by, and she went home. Eve changes into a simple light blue high-waisted shirt and a white Marielle blouse. Eve wrote a bit for her book. She placed the typewriter back behind the wall and went down to the servant's hall to have a little to eat with the staff.

"Good afternoon, everyone," She greeted.

They all stood straight up the moment they heard her voice.

"How many times have I told you all not to stand up for me when no one from upstairs is here."

They sat back down before Eve took an empty seat and sat with them.

"So, what do you think we'll make of them?" Thomas wondered.

"I shouldn't think much. She hasn't even got a lady's maid," Miss O'Brien said.

"It's not a capital offense," Anna told her.