Symphony of Scales Pt. 2

My body slumps against the wall and slides down until I am sitting. Air fills my exhausted lungs as I examine my ankle. It feels swollen and bruised as my hand rubs against it. Putting some weight on it shoots sharp pain up my leg that matches the pain vibrating through my body. The adrenaline coursing through me helps mask the pain but is not enough to compensate. It doesn't help that I have not even begun to heal from my previous injuries. Ever since I awoke in this place it feels that it has been one thing after another.

"Let's get moving before the door opens again" I groan to Frode as I use the wall to raise myself to my feet.

"Need a hand?" Frode answers as he wraps my arm around him and helps take off some of the pressure on my ankle. "Kids these days always trying to act tough and take on more than they can handle."

"Strong words coming from the man who just ran into a hoard of snakes to save one person," I jest as we begin to hobble down the hallway. "You have a death wish or something?"

"Son, being dead is one of the best things that ever happened to me. I somehow feel more alive now than I ever felt in the last years in my village. "Frode reassures me as he reminisces about his life.

Up ahead the hallway splits into two paths and we halt our advance. "Which way do you think we should go?" I question Frode who just shakes his head as he stares at the paths.

A chilled breeze blows from the hallway to the left and carries a whisper, "Asger."

"Did you hear that?" I whisper to Frode.

Frode looks up at me puzzled and quickly replies, "Hear what?"

"Never mind then. Let's go down this path then." I hurriedly respond pointing towards the left path.

We continue our journey through the hallways again down the left path, but I can still see Frode's expression shift as he continues to remember his past. "I'm surprised you can remember anything from your past. My head still throbs when I try to remember anything before my death."

"Your memory will come back in time my boy, but don't think having your memories back is a gift from the gods either." Frode contests.

"What do you mean?" I reply, puzzled by his words.

Frode continues while moving his hand, "We are in the land of liars, thieves, murders, and the like. If you ended up here, I don't see your memories all being very pleasant. Might be better to not have them return at all."

I reflect on what Frode has just told me while the faint whisper again rings in my ear, "Asger"

The mysterious woman reappears a few meters down the hall from us. The light from the torches reflecting off her deep black hair as it flickers. She outstretches her hand and quietly scratches out, "remember me."

"Who are you!" I shout almost coming out of Frode's grasp. I swiftly recover my composure as I see Frode's puzzled look turn to worry.

"Sorry. I think I can walk by myself now. Does that mean you remember what got you sent to this place?" I hurriedly spit out trying to change the subject. I remove my arm from Forde's shoulder and proceed down the hallway without his assistance.

Frode gives me one last glare but thankfully continues without questioning me, "I remember plenty of things about my life that would cause me to wind up here. I was a great warrior for my village but was lacking as a person. I lied, stole, cheated a few times on my wife., never played a fair dice game that's for damn sure."

Frode chuckles at his words but promptly continues, "I had always hoped that I would die on the battlefield. The same dream that all warriors have so they can be graced in Valhalla's light, but for me, I had just hoped that it would wash away my sins. Alas, the gods never seemed to take me. It's funny, I saw so many good men die instead of me. So many men who were good to their wives and their fellow brothers. The gods cursed me with a long life. A long life of knowing I would never be like them. Eventually, I grew old and could no longer wield a sword and I had to give up on my wish. I even took my last breath peacefully in my sleep."