Chapter 1 - A New Town

"Aaand, we're here!" My father exclaimed as he parked into the driveway of our new home. I paused the book I was reading, closed it, pushed up my glasses and looked out at the new house and the neighbourhood surrounding it. The houses were parallel to each other, rows upon rows of white picket fence lined each house, the grass surrounding was a bright peridot green and shimmered in the sunlight, children were seen laughing and playing on their front yards while the crickets chirped in chorus and the dandelions danced in the gentle summer breeze. It resembled a neighbourhood from a television show, it was perfect, it was like the American dream come to life.
My thought was interrupted when my father opened the car door.
"You can't stay in the truck all day y'know?" I looked up at him and smiled then hopped out, shutting the door behind me. That's when an older gentleman walked over to us from the house next door.
"Aw, you must be the Jenkins family!"
"And you must be Mr Keel." Father reached out his hand.
"You can just call me John!" John chuckled and proceeded to shake his hand. While the two of them conversed I attempted to haul some of the boxes inside but not long after I started my father intervened.
"No, darling, you don't have to do that," he grabbed the heavy cardboard box from my hands, "go talk to John, I'll sort our boxes out." I nodded in compliance and began to shuffle awkwardly towards our new neighbour.
"So you must be the wonderful Miss Mimi Jenkins huh," we then awkwardly shook hands, "you're much older than I expected! I assumed you'd be as old as the other kids around here from how your pops described you!" He chuckled nonchalantly.
"Dads... am I right?" I tried to joke but all it led to was awkward silence.
"So... how're you enjoying Point Pleasant so far?" Thank god he broke it.
"Oh, I think it's wonderful! I've heard that there's a lot of woodlands around here too! I can't wait to explore them!" I smiled but his face became pale as soon as I mentioned the forest.
"Well, I'd be careful if I were you." He cleared his throat.
"Why?"
"Have you not heard about... him?" I nodded, puzzled.
"Recently a terrifying creature, no, a monster has been spotted in Point Pleasant numerous times, especially around the woods. They call him the 'Mothman'." I didn't know what to say I was, just, shocked.
"Mimsy, darling, come help me unpack!" My father yelled from inside the house.
"Coming," I began to walk to the front door until I felt a tug on my arm, "huh?"
"Please do not go into those woods, be careful."