Chapter Seven

Notes;

Thank you for your patience
I now have two wips; this and Late Night Patrol (Ronnie Peterson but darker and full of smut) so check that out!
Happy holidays and thank you for reading!

Anyway, should we turn up the heat on this slow burn?!

You continue walking throughout the night, unsure for how long, but you knew you were exhausted. Relief floods through your body when you see a lone mailbox up ahead. Letting go of Ronnie's hand, you rush towards it, studying the area with caution as you approach. You spot a dirt track beside the mailbox leading down towards the outline of what appears to be a secluded building.

"If it's safe, can we rest there?" You ask Ronnie who's caught up with you now. The rest of the group slowly join his side.

"Please! I'm exhausted!" Lucy pleads, butting into your conversation.

Ronnie nods in agreement at the request as he starts making his way down the dirt track. You join his side, looking around in apprehension as you hold your baseball bat tight.

As you reach the building, it appears to be an abandoned cabin, the area surrounding it is quiet and seems free of threats.

"Cover me?" Ronnie asks, grabbing his flashlight, as he reaches the cabin door.

"Sure," you reply as you signal to the group to wait outside.

The door into the cabin opens with ease, leading into an open plan living area and small kitchenette, it's clear with no signs of danger. You both investigate the rest of the cabin, discovering two bedrooms to the rear and a small bathroom. As you exit the cabin, you let the rest of the group know it's safe to enter, congregating in the living area together.

"We can rest here for the night," you say addressing the group, "There are only two bedrooms," you turn to look at Steve and Alice before continuing, "I think you guys should take one of them." You knew it was important they got the privacy and rest they desperately needed.

"Thank you" Alice replies, as Steve remains quiet beside her. They swiftly leave the group and head in the direction of the bedrooms before choosing one and closing the door behind them.

"Can me and Sarah take the other one? I'm exhausted! Sleeping on the factory floor hasn't been comfortable," Lucy pleads, looking at you with puppy dog eyes.

"I'll happily keep watch if it sweetens the deal?" Sarah offers, hoping to convince you. You knew you had been lucky enough to sleep in the comfort of a bed back at the house, so it made sense to give them the room. The offer of Sarah keeping watch was a bonus, meaning you and Ronnie wouldn't need to worry about that tonight.

"Oh... okay then, because you asked so nicely!" you tease, smiling back at them both.

"Yes! Thank you, you're a star!" Lucy says excitedly, giving you a quick squeeze before running off to the second bedroom with Sarah, leaving you and Ronnie alone in the living area.

You watch as Ronnie slumps himself onto the couch with a heavy sigh, removing his glasses as he places them with care onto a side table.

"I'm drained," he says, sounding defeated, as he shifts his body on the couch trying to get comfortable.

"I know, we all are," you agree as you look at him, his features seem softer and his eyes brighter without glasses. You hesitate to join him as you wonder how you'd both sleep tonight with only the one couch between you.

"How do we?..." you ask trailing off as you gesture at the couch with your hands. He looks up at you in confusion and then back down at the couch.

"Oh. Umm, I'm not sure. You could always rest your head on my shoulder, or something?" he asks sheepishly, before continuing, "Like you did at the factory that one time if you want to?" His eyes search yours for a response as you blush at the memory.