Chapter Six

Notes;

Thank you so much for being patient!
This chapter hasn't been beta - so apologies for any mistakes, but I wanted to get it published for you! Hope you enjoy it

I've also started working on a new Ronnie fic - he's a little more 'flirty' and much more smutty!
Check out Late Night Patrol <3

Stepping outside the factory, you could hear the collective groans of the undead as they thrashed their bodies against the chain-link fence trying to gain access. Their groans grew louder as they watched you all filter out into the open space, the moonlight casting your shadows in the clear night sky. There must have been about twenty zombies that had managed to gain access through the damaged fence, between the seven of you that number was easy enough to deal with. Ronnie took down the first zombie with ease, throwing his upper body strength into the swing as he unleashed his machete into a wandering zombie, decapitating the head clean. You acquire your first target, as it lunges towards you, flesh already decaying from its lifeless body, you step back from its grasps raising your bat, swinging it with force as you land a blow to the head, causing the zombie to collapse on the ground in front of you. You lift your bat up to gain leverage, plunging it back down with force into the skull of the zombie to ensure it was eliminated. The others begin taking down the other lurking zombies with guns, the sound of several guns going off at once was deafening, it was mixed with the chorus of the dead moaning in the distance, growing louder as the gunshots riled them up. If the horde wasn't big enough already, then the sound of gunshots would only draw more now. With the majority of the zombies cleared from the open space, you take a moment to catch your breath, looking towards Ronnie for direction.

"Steve, head to the back of the building and start cutting through that fence, Katie and y/n go with him and cover, the rest of us will stay here and hold them back," Ronnie says urgently at the group. You pause slightly taking one last glance at Ronnie before heading off to the other end of the building. You didn't like being separated from Ronnie in situations like this, it made you feel uncomfortable and on edge, knowing you wouldn't be able to reach him in time if anything were to happen. You knew he was sending you off with Steve for your own protection, you weren't sure if you should be thankful or annoyed with him, but it wasn't the time to question his decision. You knew it made some sense sending you off with them, Ronnie knew you could defend yourself. Steve needed to concentrate on cutting that fence and Katie still seemed as afraid and shaken as she was on that first night, you were the best option in keeping them both safe.

Reaching the fence behind the building, Steve quickly begins snipping at the metal of the chain-link fence, working hard to create an exit route for the group. You realize this wasn't a quick task, feeling like a spare part whilst you stand over him, keeping watch for any potential threats. You glance over at Katie, who's standing quietly, her arms folded, you could see her physically shaking.

"It'll be okay," you say as you approach her, trying to be reassuring. She doesn't look at you, keeping her head down as she shakes her head in disagreement.

"It's never going to be okay," she says, her voice muffled and clearly emotional. You stand awkwardly beside her, not sure how to respond, you knew deep down that she could be right. You offer up a closed-lip smile and a reassuring arm rub before your attention is caught by the shouting of Ronnie and the others. You turn the back corner of the building, giving you a clear view towards the front of the factory, you can see the horde of zombies beginning to overpower the fence.

"IT'S GONNA GIVE!" you hear Ronnie shout urgently above the moans and groans of the horde. Ronnie and the others pause, stepping back slightly as they watch the fence begin bending inward, you watch with them, knowing there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. The weight of the horde pushing against the section of the damaged fence causes it to crash to the ground. The sound of the metal hitting the ground echoes as you watch the horde gain access to the factory. You watch in fear as the zombies begin filtering in.