chapter 3 - bet

It was now the first day of classes. So far, in the past 2 days, Ja-Potter had asked her out 27 times. Why she kept count you ask? She had a bet going of course. 

"Mar I really don't think he could ask me out 70 times in one day." Ember told Marlene as they were walking down the stairs to the Gryffindor common room. 

Lily joined them shaking her head, "No it's definitely possible, i'm with Mar on this one." 

"Whatever, who's even keeping count?" 

Alice joined them in the common room sitting down next to them, "We asked the boys to keep track for us, they bet against you too."  

Lily jumped up, "Okay enough about the bet, let's get breakfast and our schedules." The girls nodded in agreement, heading out the portrait to the Great Hall. 

* * * * 

When James woke up all he could think about was his Firebird. He needed to get her to at least tolerate him this year. He was in love with her, and she thought he only did it for the attention. He always went big or extravagant. He even tried to make her jealous. That backfired very quickly. Up to this point, nothing had worked. He needed to ask her friends what to do. For now, he would just lay in his bed thinking about his true love and how he would treasure her forever. 

"Hey Prongs, why are you smiling so much, it's 7:30 in the bloody morning."

He looked over at his friends with a large smile and sighed, "Her."

* * * *

"Hello love, I was wondering if you wanted to accompany me on the next trip to Hogsmeade?" James questioned Ember. She looked up at him, almost ashamed, "Sorry Potter, i've actually already got a date." He whipped around, shock overcoming him, "What, who?" "Sorry Potter, can't give names. You remember what happened to the last guy I told you about. Derek Oakley ring any bells Potter."

* * * *

Derek Oakley was a 7th year boy last year who was kind of like Sirius Black, only really used the girls for sexual purposes. Ember was aware of this, everyone at the school was.  But James being James,  thought she wasn't aware and tried to warn her. 

Derek wouldn't have been her first time, she had actually been with a fifth of the older male Slytherin and Ravenclaw population at Hogwarts. She had rules and guidelines, standards if you must.

1. Never shag anyone in your house. Preferably Slytherin and Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff's get too kinky

2. Never shag them more than once

3. Never anyone of your own year, usually someone who graduated the next year

She was really only looking for a one night stand. She would have gone to Sirius, but she thought of Sirius as a brother. He also shared a dorm with the kid who was practically in love with her. So that would have been a no go. 

Anyways, Derek was actually going to take her to Hogsmeade beforehand. Unfortunately, someone had tipped James off, giving him and his merry band of marauders plenty of time to prank the poor guy. They had thrown multiple stink bombs at him a breakfast, stinking up most of the Ravenclaw table. She did sleep with him once the stink had worn off. Right before a class she and the Marauders shared actually. That definitely did not go over well with James. 

* * * * 

James just shrugged, "I will not apologize. He deserved it. You had no idea of his reputation!" 

Sirius snorted, "Yeah of course she didn't- ow!" James ignored his friend while Ember kicked his shin underneath the table. 

"Girls let's get to class. You all have transfiguration right?" Marlene and Lily hummed in agreement, while Alice was staring at someone. Frank Longbottom. 

Marlene nudged Alice, "Ali stop staring at him, just go talk to him at lunch, we have to get to class now." 

* * * *

James just stared after her sighing dreamily. "Prongs, you do realize what Padfoot just implied right?" 

"Shut it Moony. She obviously didn't want Prongs to know so just leave it." 

"What did you imply Padfoot, I wasn't listening." 

"Nothing Prongs."

"So Prongs, what are you going to do to get her to like you this year?" Remus questioned his lovesick friend. 

"I'm actually going to ask her friends, I think she gets most flustered by touch and not words. She seemed really embarrassed once she figured out I carried her. Did you know she snuggled into me, it was so cute." 

"No mate, but still ask her friends, maybe they can even convince her you've grown up. I think we all have, but you are the only one that has to prove it to her." Remus decided to help out his friend. 

He now truly believes he's in love with her. "Okay Padfoot, Wormy, we need to help James. I think this year is his last chance. I think he knows it too."

* * * *

Meanwhile the girls were walking to Transfiguration. "You know Em, every head boy and girl ends up together in some way." 

Ember just giggled, "Yea no, I will never fall for James Potter. The day I do you can admit to St. Mungo's." 

The girls just smirked at her, Marlene spoke, "You wanna place a bet on that Em?" 

Ember just shrugged, "Sure, how much." 

Alice spoke, "20 galleons. Deal?" the girl thought about it, "Deal, your loss."