A Second Opinion

"'The time of Half-bloods comes to an end.'" Aliana mumbled under her breath.

Percy's eyes widened in fear. "You think that's what it means."

She turned to look back at the carving. "It makes sense."

"Okay." Annabeth broke in. "What are you two talking about?"

Aliana faced Annabeth, chewing her bottom lip. She'd kind of forgotten she was there. "I got a prophecy and I think this might be part of it."

"And you told Percy and not me?" Annabeth crossed her arms.

"No." Aliana defended. "Chiron told Percy. If I'd had my way, neither of you would've found out."

"Well, now I have." Annabeth said bluntly. "So, show me this prophecy."
* * *
"You live in a treehouse?" Annabeth stared up at the wooden house nestled in the branches.

"Why is that everyone's reaction?" Aliana pulled the rope from the ivy and slung her bow over her shoulder.

"Everyone, as in the two of us." Percy observed.

"Fair enough." Aliana planted her feet firmly against the tree and walked up the trunk.

She kicked the ladder down to them and they walked inside. Aliana dumped the hunting gear in the corner and snatched the scroll off of the desk.

Annabeth accepted the roll of paper almost fearfully and unrolled it. She read the prophecy once, twice, three times. "So, if you're the Forgotten Daughter, then this part about good and bad and walking the line is about you." She pointed to the first verse.

Aliana hung her head. "Yes." She met Percy's gaze. Based on his surprised expression, he hadn't made the connection. "That's part of the reason I kept this from you. I was afraid that if you got involved... I would hurt you."

Percy took her hand, then grabbed Annabeth's. "We've been through the Underworld together. We trust you."

Annabeth slipped her free hand into Aliana's other hand. "He's right. We're with you, no matter what."

Aliana blinked back a few rebellious tears and nodded. "Let's see if we can't figure this crazy puzzle out."

Annabeth spread the scroll in the center of their little circle, using random objects off the floor as paperweights.
                                   *   *   *
"Oh, come on Chiron." Aliana whined. "The prophecy has already started. There's no harm in letting me leave now."

The white centaur rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

"Please, Chiron. You said you didn't want me to feel trapped. This is how you prove it." She pleaded.

He sighed. "Fine. As long as you're back before sunset."

"Thank you, Chiron." She had to hold herself back so she wouldn't hug him.
* * *
Aliana double checked the apartment number to make sure she was in the right place. Taking a deep breath, she knocked softly on the door.

There was a long silence. Just as she was ready to leave, Mason opened the door. He was halfway through apologizing when he noticed her and blanched. "You're here."

"And why not." Aliana challenged, clasping her hands awkwardly behind her back.

"Well," he stumbled over his words a bit. "from what you described Camp Half-blood was kind of a prison."

"It was." She bit her bottom lip, debating how much to tell him. "Apparently, when I snuck off with Percy and Annabeth, I sort of... triggered a prophecy, which happened to be the only reason Chiron was keeping me confined to camp, so... he's been a little more lenient lately."

Mason nodded understandingly, but he still looked a little confused. He seemed to snap back to reality and realized that he was being a bad host. "Um... would you care to come in."

Aliana grinned. "Such a gentlemen." She teased as she walked past him into the apartment.

It had one main room, a single bedroom, and a small bathroom. The living area had bare walls and an old couch that looked like it was about to fall apart.

Mason cleared his throat as if he were embarrassed. "Sorry about the mess. I'm not used to having company."

She gave him a forced, sympathetic smile. "Oh, this isn't a mess. You should see the Hermes Cabin."

He chuckled. "So," he started awkwardly, "tell me about this prophecy."

Aliana shrugged. "There's not much to tell."

"Maybe I can help you figure it out." He offered.

Aliana and Mason spent the next couple of hours analyzing the third verse of the prophecy. It was the only one that was still a complete mystery to her. They didn't figure anything out.

The sun had started to sink towards the horizon and Aliana got up to leave.

Mason walked her to the door. "I guess I'll see you around."

"Yeah." She promised.

"Keep me posted on that prophecy of yours." He added as she walked down the hall.

She turned and gave him a thumbs up.