Boredom

"You shouldn't go alone." Annabeth held, crossing her arms.

"I'll be fine." Percy protested.

"We have no idea what we're dealing with." Annabeth reminded him. "And you know what the prophecy said about us. I'm in the clear now, but you're not."

He sighed. "I hate it when you're right, but really I'll be okay. I can handle myself."

She groaned. "You're impossible. Fine, just promise you'll be careful."

He smirked. "Aren't I always."

She rolled her eyes as he walked out. One of these days he was going to get himself killed.
* * *
Percy peered through the bushes and yawned. How long had he been there? The sun was setting and absolutely nothing had happened. His eyes hurt from staring at the same spot all day and his muscles hurt from standing in a crouch for hours on end. He didn't dare move for fear of revealing himself, but... man, he really had to stand up. Considering the quiet afternoon, he risked straightening himself to his full height and arching his back in a stretch.

Something rustled the bushes to his right.

He flinched, grabbing the pen in his back pocket. He gripped Riptide tightly as the leaves moved again. A branch snapped and he uncapped his sword.

Suddenly, a stray cat leapt out of the bushes. It leaned back and arched its body down, stretching lazily. It gave a big yawn, its pointed teeth and arching tongue visible in its gaping mouth.

Percy sighed, his shoulders relaxing. He put the cap back on Riptide as he laughed at himself. He must be really jumpy to let a kitten scare him. He crouched down, feeling the strain in his legs, and held out his open hand to the kitty.

It licked its paw and rubbed the top of its head, grooming its midnight black fur. Then, it noticed the person kneeling in the bushes and looked up, staring at the boy with big green eyes.

Percy could've sworn the cat's fur shifted to a deep navy blue, but it had probably just been a trick of the light. He gently touched the feline's head.

At first, it seemed to enjoy the attention, then it snapped at him. Its little fangs ripped through the top layer of his skin. It gave him a quick hiss before bounding off into the trees.

Percy stood, staring after the cat. He looked at his hand. The cat hadn't drawn any blood, but the tiny cut still stung. Why was it that cat's claws could make such a small wound hurt so bad? It was almost like they were venomous, which wouldn't have surprised Percy. There were times, looking back, when cats acted suspiciously like monsters.

He shoved Riptide back into his pocket and turned towards camp. He had to get back before the sun set completely and the monsters came out to play.
                                    *   *   *
The darkness pressed in on her. She was back in the dreary black cavern - the entrance to Tartarus.

"Interesting." The deep voice echoed out of the pit. "Your Mind has brought you back here."

"Trust me." She countered. "This is the last place I want to be."

"But it's all you can think about." He added. "Your mind is reeling, swirling with questions, and they all lead you back here." He chuckled. "Why would Kronos want anything to do with you? What does he want? Do you have to go deeper? Who is the Abandoned Son?" He voiced her thoughts. "You're floundering and the only thing you know for sure... is me."

"Well, I'm useless to you now, aren't I." She snapped. "So why are you still bothering me?"

She could hear the smirk in his voice as he replied. "Call it the Fates bringing us together."

She blanched. Her heart leapt into her throat and her knees felt weak. She knew who she was talking to... and it wasn't Kronos.
                                *   *   *
"'Everything is not what it seems.'" Annabeth muttered the words under her breath for what seemed like the thousandth time.

It was such a short line, but it carried so much weight. It was something they'd been ignoring this entire time, but... what if it was the most important part. What if the stone really was meant to kill half-bloods but limited exposure just took their powers away? What if Chiron was wrong and she and Percy weren't supposed to be involved? What if Aliana wasn't even the Forgotten Daughter?

Annabeth groaned in frustration. They could be basing the entire prophecy, their entire plan, on skewed information. She wanted to hurl the scroll across the room, or tear it up, or light it on fire, but... whether she was supposed to be involved or not, she was now.

She flopped back onto her cot, tearing her fingers through her hair.

"How's your leg?" A familiar voice sounded from the doorway.

Annabeth sat up and found Percy leaning against the door frame. "Could be better, could be worse. How was your look out?"

He walked into the room and sat on the cot beside hers. "Booooring." He drew out the word to emphasize his suffering.

She chuckled. "So... nothing?"

He flopped back onto the cot. "That would be an affirmative." He dragged his hands down his face.

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "You just went on a quest to the Underworld. I don't know about you, but I could use a little boring right now."

He pushed himself onto his elbows and looked at her. "Well, that's not exactly an option right now, and if I'm going to have a quest, I'd just as well be in the middle of the action."

"Why am I not surprised?" She shook her head.

"Because you know me too well, Wise Girl." He sat all the way back up.

"Can't argue with that." She concurred. "Seaweed Brain."

A/N
Hey guys! Just hit 1000 reads for this story. In all honesty, I'm surprised. I guess I'm doing something right. 😂
But seriously, thank you all. I appreciate the support.
Just want to reiterate, that I would LOVE to hear you guys' predictions/thoughts on this story.
Thank you all. Glad you're enjoying the story.
-Cheshire