Chapter 5

Katerina found herself laying in the grass one day, peacefully soaking in the warm sunlight. She laid on her back, her eyes closed softly as she blindly played with the wildflowers around her.

Sirius made his way down to a small meadow where he knew Katerina would be. She often spent time there, even dragging Lily, Severus, and Regulus down there with her. Sirius squinted his eyes as he saw her rolling around in the grass. He could hear her soft giggle, making him chuckle slightly.

"Hey, Katerina!" he called. Katerina didn't pay attention to him as she stopped rolling, resuming her position of sunbathing. Sirius smirked, taking it as a challenge. He walked closer to the girl, laying down next to her. Katerina slowly peeled her eyes open, turning her head to look at him.

"What?" she asked. Sirius looked surprised. She was usually quick to be snarky or sharp with him, but her tone was calm and soft.

"Don't take this lightly; I'm only being nice to you because I was trying to relax. As long as you're not annoying, my calm stature will remain," Katerina expressed. A small smile spread across Sirius's lips as Katerina's head turned away from him, looking up at the sky. Her eyelids fluttered closed as she let out deep breath.

"I want to know more about you," Sirius stated. Katerina sat up, a single eyebrow quirking up.

"Why?"

Sirius cracked a smile, shrugging. "I want to know what makes you so special. Everyone seems to like you," he said. Katerina rolled her eyes, her calmness slowly deteriorating. "Well, what do you want to know?" she asked. Sirius tapped his chin in fake thought.

"I'm not answering anything until you answer this question," Katerina said. Sirius nodded.

"Why must you insist on breaking hearts instead of committing to a real relationship?"

Sirius shrugged.

Katerina snorted, rolling her eyes. Sirius started to laugh loudly. Katerina glanced at him, a small smile spreading across her face. She joined in on his laughter. They didn't stop until a few minutes later, when Sirius took a deep breath, a huge smile on his face.

"Now, answer my question. What makes you so different from other girls at Hogwarts?" he asked.

Katerina scoffed. "You mean, why don't I fall at your feet or goggle at you?" she asked. Sirius let out a loud laugh.

"It's because I know there's not much on the inside. Sure, you're nice to look at, but you're not so nice on the inside. I'm usually never this blunt or rude, but I guess you're special," she said.

Sirius's signature smirk spread across his face as he listened to her speak. "So you do find me attractive?"

Katerina groaned, throwing her hands over her face. "Is that really all you got from what I just told you? I literally told you that you're a bad person," she said. Sirius snorted, shaking his head.

"I don't take it to heart. You don't know me, so how would you know that I'm a bad person?"

Katerina quirked her eyebrow again. "You're nothing but rude to my twin brother, you break girls' hearts, and you're constantly finding ways to annoy me!" she exclaimed. Sirius frowned slightly.

"Snivell- SEVERUS brought it upon himself. He's a Slytherin-" he started. Katerina cut him off quickly, a fire burning in her eyes.

"Just because he's in Slytherin doesn't mean he's a bad person," she seethed. Sirius rolled his eyes, starting to get frustrated as well.

"Oh come one, Katerina! Everyone in that house is rotten, and you know it!"

Katerina glared at him furiously. "How could you say that? Your own brother is in Slytherin! He's one of the nicest people I've ever met!"

Sirius scoffed. "Look around, Katerina! My little brother adores the Dark Arts. So does that disgusting twin brother of yours. They're both going to end up becoming Death Eaters."

Katerina's angry face quickly turned to one of hurt.

"He what?" she asked quietly. Her lip quivered as she searched Sirius's face for any kind of joking expression. His face was stony serious, making her heart drop.

"I've got to go," she mumbled, standing up quickly. She ran towards the castle, Sirius chasing behind her.

"Katerina! Wait!"

But she was long gone. She had disappeared into the large castle, in search of her brother. Sirius groaned, tearing his hands through his hair. 

___

Katerina ran towards the dungeons in search of Severus. She let out a heavy breath as she realized that she wouldn't be able to get into the Slytherin common room without the help of a Slytherin student. Suddenly, the wall in front of her revealed an opening as someone stepped out of it. Katerina snapped her head up as Severus looked towards her, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Kat?" he asked. Katerina stepped towards him, a determined look on her face. "Are you studying Dark Magic?" she asked. Severus's face looked conflicted. Katerina chuckled dryly, his face giving away the answer.

"Why, Sev? You know it's wrong," she continued. Severus opened his mouth to say something but was cut off by two students leaving the Slytherin common room. They both looked towards Katerina, their eyebrows raised. Katerina squinted her eyes at them angrily.

"You coming, Snape?" one of them asked. Severus nodded. "In a second," he muttered. The two boys nodded, walking away. Katerina turned her eyes back to her twin brother. She shook her head.

"Mulciber and Avery? Really?"

Severus shrugged. Katerina growled slightly, shoving past her brother. She left the dungeons, starting on her way to the Gryffindor common room. She tried not to the let the tears that had welled up in her eyes fall. She was met with a hard chest, stumbling back slightly. Regulus looked down at her, concern filling his eyes.

"Are you alright?"

Katerina shook her head at him, storming past her best friend. Regulus looked at her in confusion before chasing after her. He grabbed her arm, making her stop and turn towards him.

"What happened?" he asked. Katerina met his eyes, her bottom lip quivering. "Are you doing it too? Just like Sev, and Mulciber, and Avery!" she bellowed. Regulus suddenly went cold, standing up a little straighter. He clicked his tongue, slowly dropping Katerina's arm. She nodded, the tears now dripping down her face.

She left Regulus standing in the middle of the hallway as she walked to Gryffindor Tower. The portrait of the Fat Lady swung open as she mumbled the password. She attempted to walk straight to her dorm, but was stopped by Lily.

The red-headed girl immediately pulled Katerina into a hug as soon as she saw her tears.

"Kat, what happened?" she asked quietly. Katerina looked into Lily's green eyes. "It's Sev and Reg. They're both studying Dark Magic," she said. Lily let out a breath, nodding. Katerina furrowed her eyebrows at her best friend's reaction. She slowly came to understand, pulling away from Lily.

"You knew..." she whispered. Lily opened her mouth to explain, but Katerina held her hand up.

"Save it."

She pushed past Lily aggressively, returning to her dorm room. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Well this is getting interesting...

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter!

Stay cool, Anika<3