Chapter 14

"It's been a few days, Maya," a concerned Annabeth says, coming over to the Hades cabin to check up on Sans.  "He hasn't shown any signs of waking up soon.  Are you sure he'll be okay?"

"He completely drained all the magic in his soul during his fight yesterday," Maya says.  "I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't wake up 'til next week."

"Well, you know monsters better than I do," Annabeth says.  "I just hope he'll be ok."

"He will," Maya says, though she sounds a bit like she's also telling herself that.

Annabeth leaves the Hades cabin, shutting the door behind her.

Sans groans and turns over on his bunk. 

"maya, don't," he mutters, tossing and turning.  "the king will kill you.  don't go...don't leave me here alone..."

Maya wraps her arms around his sleeping figure.

"I won't go anywhere, Sans," she whispers.  "I'll stay with you."

She holds him in her arms until he stops tossing and turning around.  When he does, she sighs, stands up, and kisses the side of Sans's skull before exiting the Hades cabin.  

"He'll be okay in there, right?" Leo asks.

"He'll be fine," Maya says.  "It just takes a while for his soul to generate enough magic to refill his large reserve of magic."

"This Undyne figure he fought a few days ago, how well do you know her?" Leo asks.

"Not very much considering most, no, all of our interactions are of her trying to kill me and of me running away from her," Maya says.  "However, she is amazingly strong and has one of the strongest souls in the Underground, second only to the king's."

"How about Sans's soul?" Leo asks.

"Sans actually has the weakest soul out of all the monsters living Underground," Maya says.  "Do so much as poke it to hard and it'll crack.  So, he asked the king to train him in dodging attacks."

"Lemme guess, Undyne, like Sans, won't die to fatal wounds on her own body?" 

"Nope."

"Well, I'm just glad that the case of our murderer has been wrapped up," Leo says, breathing out a sign of relief.  "Things can go on as normal now."

"Yeah," Maya says.

Leo and Maya were the first to sit at the usual table in the mess hall.  A few minutes later, demigods start filing in.

"Heya, Maya," Percy greets.  "Heh, that kinda rhymes.  How's Sans?"

"Still asleep," Maya says.  "He should be fine though."

"Thank the gods," Percy says.

Annabeth goes to sit beside her boyfriend and puts on a pair of gloves.  She then holds her hand out at Leo, who takes a glowing light blue shard out of his tool belt and hands it to her.  She holds the fragment up to the sunlight above.

"I had Leo analyze this thing for me," Annabeth says.  "It's almost entirely composed of Neon with little amounts of lanthanides and actinides as well as a very small percentage of an unknown element.  In other words, this thing is nearly completely gas and shouldn't be possible to hold.  However, both our mysterious attacker and I can hold it, which makes me wonder what this unknown element is."

"It could just simply be monster magic," Piper says.  "We can ask Sans when he wakes up."

"Yeah," Annabeth says, tossing the light blue fragment at Leo, who fumbles to catch it and put it back into his tool belt.