Chapter 12

Sans wakes up in the Hades Cabin and makes another day off the calendar on the wall with a red highlighter.

This was Sans's seventh day in Camp Half-Blood.  He had officially spent a week in a camp full of humans, well not one hundred percent humans, but humans nonetheless.  He reaches ovder for the scarf on the nightstand beside his bed and wears it around his neck before putting on his blue, fluffy jacket.  Normally, people would jut a jacket on before wearing a scarf, but Sans was a skeleton.  Normal didn't apply to him.

He gets up and teleports to the mess hall for breakfast, making a scared Leo drop his bagel.  Frank, who had an arrow nocked into his bow for whatever reason, fires it at Sans, who leans his head a bit to the side to avoid it.

"Sans, oh my gods," Leo says, sighing.  

"good morning to ya too," Sans greets, sitting on a chair beside Maya.

"Any nightmares this time?" Maya asks, concerned.

"not as many," Sans says.  "no need to get yourself so worried about me so early in the morning, hon.  just eat your breakfast."

Sans gives Maya a peck on the lips before reaching over for one of the magical goblets on the table.  He looks around to see that it's only him, Maya, Leo, Frank, and Hazel sitting around the table.

"hey, where's everyone else?" Sans asks.

"This morning, a camper found a dead body near the big lake over there," Leo says, pointing towards the East where the sun was covered halfway by the hills.  "They'll come back soon."

"'kay," Sans says, sipping from his goblet of ketchup.  "so, what're we doing today?

"Today's physicals day," Leo says.

Frank groans.

"Oh how I hate physicals day," Frank says.  "Sherman really likes making everyone at his mercy suffer."

"it can't be all that bad," Sans says, shrugging.

"That's what I told myself before I had my first physicals day," Frank says.

"i'll just find a way to get through it in the laziest way possible," Sans says.  "i'll find a way."

"I mean, it doesn't hurt to get fit every once in a while," Frank says.

"eh, too lazy for that," Sans says.

"Lucky for you Sans, you'll be skipping fitness day today," Jason says, walking to their table in the mess hall.  "Sans, can you come with me?  It's the weirdest thing we've ever seen, but probably not too common from where you come from."

"'kay," Sans says.  "maya, get back to your cabin.  i'll see you soon."

Maya nods and gives Sans a kiss on the cheek before walking over to a table with a bunch of Demeter's kids.  Maya's mom was Ceres, so the Demeter cabin was the best place to put her.

Jason walks Sans over to the big lake, where a human body was slowly disintegrating into dust.  It's whole left half was already gone.

Wait, disintegrating?

"When we found the body, it was just starting to disintegrate, which makes us believe the killer killed him real quick and took off just in the nick of time," Jason says.  "But, what kind of method of killing will make a body disintegrate like that?  Didn't you say only monsters would disintegrate upon dying?"

Sans approaches the body and points at it with his right finger.  His eye ignites in a light blue flame.  Then he opens his hand.  

Inside was an empty heart, bordered by orange.