Chapter Forty Seven

Cress grinned, passing the port back to Iko.

"Stars! Your computer must have been amazing." Iko grunted, playing her move. "Don't wrinkle your dress."

Cress carefully adjusted her full skirt. She hadn't put her shoes on yet, but Iko suggested she wait until right before the ball so her feet weren't sore.

Winter had insisted on doing "Selene's" hair, relieving Iko of the rest of her hair duties. Scarlet was alternating peering over Cress and Iko's shoulders, apparently trying to make sense of the game.

Cress felt a little smug that Scarlet was as mystified by Mountain Miners as she was by Royals.

"Thanks Winter." Cinder murmured.

Cress detected a hint of nervousness in her tone.

Winter grinned, stooping to give Cinder a kiss on her cheek. Cinder smiled, turning around and hugging Winter who hugged her right back.

"Uh, do you guys want some privacy?"

Winter scowled at Scarlet. "I haven't had my best friend for the majority of my life, pardon me for being sentimental."

Cinder laughed, though she still seemed nervous. "I'm going to go find Kai, I'll see you all in a bit."

"Speaking of," Iko murmured after Cinder disappeared. "We should take our places."

"You're just saying that cause you're loosing." Cress grinned wickedly.

Iko made a face. "Just put your shoes on."

Cress giggled, pushing herself up and grabbing her shoes from the ground. Leaning a hand on the wall to balance herself, she tugged her heels on and did a practice walk across the room.

"Hey look at you! No foals in sight." Iko clapped, grinning.

Scarlet laughed as she strapped on her own shoes. They were still heels, but much shorter than Cress's—which wasn't fair at all. Cress expressed repeated disapproval that because she was the shortest she had to wear the highest heels.

"Last time I checked, you're wearing the highest heels because you went and asked Thorne what he thought." Iko retorted. She pulled open the door and waved everyone through, trotting behind Scarlet and then Cress for some final hair touch ups.

"Iko." Scarlet waved her away.

"It's part of my job, don't fight it."

"I'm pretty sure being an ambassador doesn't make you a hair stylist."

"Ambassador is only one of my jobs, missy."

Cress spotted Carswell just down the corridor, fixing his tie in a mirror. Jacin said something and Carswell shoved his shoulder before Wolf intervened.

"Hey, there're our girls." Carswell grinned striding towards Cress and giving her a hug. It was odd for her head to rest closer to his head instead of his chest. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks. So do you." Cress grinned.

Carswell kissed her forehead. "Aces, you're tallish."

"I know! And I can walk without looking like a foal."

"Well that's... always good."

"Okay, come on, let's go." Iko pushed them all towards the double doors. They weren't being announced like the last time, which Cress was a tiny bit thankful for, but they were going to start the evening on the balcony with Kai and Cinder.

The doors were opened and in stead of attention-demanding trumpets blaring, sounds of the ball filled Cress's ears. She and Carswell strolled casually onto the balcony, Cress peering over the edge and onto the bustling floor.