Chapter Eighteen

The hot water pounded against Cress's back. She quickly soaped through her hair with the lemon scented shampoo and lathered up her arms and legs before rinsing the suds off. Since the Rampion was housing more guests, she wanted to be mindful of the water supply. Wrapping a towel beneath her arms and finger combing through her hair, Cress quickly changed into her pajamas, hung the towel, and wiped down the counter.

Carswell was sitting on his bed already, leaning back against the headboard and doing something on his port.

"Thanks for letting me use your shower," Cress said, trying not to smile.

Carswell grinned, yawning and tossing his port aside. "Yeah, of course." He reached for her hand and pulled her towards him. "You want to stay in here tonight?"

Cress let her smile out, nodding. Carswell wrapped an arm around her waist and fell back against the bed. Cress swallowed a squeal, her stomach flipping.

"Excited about The United Kingdom?" he asked as he dragged the heavy blankets up and around them.

Cress nodded, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"You hair's all wet."

"Sorry."

"It's so long," he murmured, running his fingers through her damp waves.

"I know! I can braid it again." She sighed, so beyond happy it didn't seam possible. "Who's flying the ship?"

"Jacin."

"You don't sound happy."

Carswell scoffed. "If he wants to fly through the night, who am I to stop him? Besides, I get a solid night's sleep with my queen," he added, tightening his arms around her and kissing her forehead.

Cress grinned, her heart swelling to a point of bursting. For several minutes they both laid together in silence. Carswell's fingers continued to play with her hair.

"Do you really not like snow?" Cress asked.

"It's not my favorite. I don't mind the cold, but the snow is a bit much."

"Oh."

"Though I have to admit seeing you getting to experience things that I personally don't care for or don't like has changed my mind."

Cress propped herself up so she could look at him, though Carswell's hand didn't fall away from her hair and she liked the way she fit nestled beside him.  "What didn't you like that you do now?"

"The desert, for one thing."

Cress giggled. "I don't think I like the desert either. Except the beach, does that count?"

Carswell shook his head. "No. At least, I don't think so. Where's your favorite place we've been so far?"

"Iko asked me the same thing. Australia."

"'Cause of the beach?"

Cress nodded. "And the food was good too. Although, I really did like Scarlet's farm with all the trees and the grass and the cool mornings..."

The side of Carswell's mouth quirked up in a smile. "You're so pretty," he murmured, shifting his hand and grazing her cheek with his thumb.

Cress sucked in a breath. She wanted to tell him how much she loved him and how she couldn't believe this was all real, even after months of traveling with him and being with him. Instead, what came out was, "So are you."

Carswell chuckled and Cress felt her face flush.

"I meant—"

"I know what you meant, Damsel." He stretched up to kiss her and she settled her head back on his shoulder. With a happy sigh, Cress drifted off to sleep and didn't wake up again until early the next morning. Something smelled good.

"Winter's cooking again." Carswell mumbled against her hair.

"Smells good."

"Tell her she's hired."

Cress giggled. She sucked in a deep breath and craned her neck to peer out the window. "When do you think we'll land?"

"Hopefully soon." Carswell groaned. "I should probably go see what's happening."

Cress reluctantly slid off him, flopping onto her back and cradling her head in her hands. Carswell leaned back over her, quickly kissing her before standing up and disappearing. She stayed in bed for an extra few minutes, enjoying the peacefulness, before reluctantly getting up and heading into her own room to change. Quickly donning a thick pair of tights, a blue knit skirt and a brown sweater, she started back down through the corridor. 

She could see a thick white blanket spreading out beneath the ship, but she wasn't sure if it was cloud covering or snow. Either way it was beautiful.

Running her fingers through her hair as she bounded down the corridor towards the galley, Cress couldn't keep the smile from her face. She tugged a blue knit hat over her head, another gift from Wolf.

"Smells good."

"I just rehydrated some protein packets." Winter shrugged, waving a hand towards the counter where she had arranged all kinds of plated breakfasts from pancakes to eggs and sausage.

Cress sank down at the table just as Scarlet, Wolf, and Iko walked in. Scarlet was wearing a knitted hat as well and her hair was braided in two pigtails.

"Jacin said we're getting ready to land and to strap in." Cinder said, poking her head in the doorway. "Unless Thorne you want to land in which case, everyone take cover."

"Or we could all just hold onto you. No one will go anywhere with that cinderblock you call a leg."

Cinder made a face, disappearing back out of the room.

Carswell took Cress's hand and tugged her towards the cargo bay where they all strapped into the fold-out seats. Once they had touched down, Winter leapt up. Cress was right behind her and the moment the cargo ramp was lowered, she darted outside and came to a halt just before stepping on the powdery white snow.

"It's so... beautiful," she whispered, her eyes widening.

Carswell stepped up beside her, taking her hand and tugging her the rest of the way down.

It was almost painful making footprints in the otherwise flat landscape. Tall, beautiful trees were scattered around the house—big, just like Iko said. They were so different than the trees in France. Almost... wispy. Snow had gathered on some of their branches and on the porch railing. It was a photo right off the net.

"Oh... aces."