chapter 5 - YOU BLOODY WHAT!

Ember was walking over to the quidditch pitch, where she heard Potter was practicing during the Hogsmeade visit. She was walking over with Elijah, who had promised not to beat James up. "Elijah, I swear to Merlin. Don't verbally abuse him either, okay?" 

"No I only promised not to physically hurt him. I'm sure his ego could go down a few sizes, right?" 

Ember shrugged looking up at the boy, "I mean I guess, but not too much okay?" 

Elijah just sighed in defeat, "Fine, but only because you asked so nicely."

James was flying around the pitch with his friends. He was so caught up in quidditch, he didn't even see the love of his life watching him and his friends, with her 'boyfriend.' 

"Oi Black, hit it over!" he heard her yelling over to his best friend. 

"Only for you Holland!" Sirius yelled hitting the bludger over to his partner. James became extremely nervous for her, he knew of her skills and how Sirius would never intentionally hurt her, but he still worried.

As she saw the bludger barreling toward her, she wandlessly thought, 'accio bat' sending the bat in the broom closet coming straight into her hand. As soon as the bat came into contact with her hand, she tightened her grip on it, swinging her arm back. When the bludger came within hitting distance, she swung her arm forward with all the force she could muster. The ball ended up going all the way across to the other hoop.

"Damn, Firebird you get better every year. Oh and McGonagall wanted me to tell you that you're captain again this year." James informed her, as he flew down to greet her. 

"And who's this? Your boyfriend?" James asked while staring Elijah down with a look that could kill. 

"Oh so this is loverboy. And no, she's like my sister, plus I already have a girlfriend at home. These must be the other two boys you always talk about." Elijah spoke eyeing Remus and Sirius.

"Oh yeah guys, this is my sort of brother, Elijah. Plays as a beater for the Montrose Magpies. I actually got better over the summer from him. Oh Eli these are the boys, Remus Lupin and Sirius Black. And of course as you so kindly nicknamed him loverboy, James Potter." She said as she gestured to each boy, her gaze staying on James a slightly longer than necessary.

James visibly relaxed as she introduced him as her 'sort of brother.' He was honestly glad she had someone to act as a family figure for her. 

Ember noticed his daydreaming, "Hey James, you good?" His smile grew wide and his cheeks flushed as he heard his name roll effortlessly off her tongue. His gaze snapped up to hers, his smug grin forming into a genuine smile. "What is it James?" 

He smiled sheepishly, "You used my name." When he spoke her cheeks blushed a furious shade of pink.

 "Sorry Potter." 

"No no no no I like it when you say my name. You can use it as many times as you want. I could listen to you say my name everyday for the rest of my life. Hopefully one day I will." James spoke as he stepped closer towards her. 

She just looked up at him, not realizing how close he was. They stared into each other's eyes, amber clashing against pure hazel. 

"James, we can't do this," she told him breathily as she stepped away shakily. Neither of them had realized their friends had left. They had ended up talking for 30 minutes. At this realization, she ran back towards the school.

James felt his excited aura dim as he watched her run across the quidditch pitch. He heard rustling in the quidditch stands and saw his friends sadly staring down at him. He shook his head, putting it down in sadness. 

* * * *

Ember rushed back into to the castle, running to her dorm. She pushed the door open hurriedly and breathing heavily, to find her friends all working on homework. Once they heard their dorm room door slam open, their eyes met her frantic gaze. Lily was the first to jump up and meet their friend who seemed to be frozen in shock, "Em oh my what happened?" 

Ember replied frantically, "Ialmostkissedjamespotter" 

"Sorry, repeat that again." Alice said, reaching the edge of her bead in anticipation. 

"I. Almost. Kissed. James. Bloody. Potter. Merlin kill me now." she replied in exasperation, flopping down on her bed dramatically. 

Marlene rushed over to her friend, "YOU BLOODY WHAT! WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU?" 

Ember covered her ears, "Marlene stop yelling. The reason I didn't kiss him was because now I think I realize that i've had feelings for the bloke and it just hit me like a pile of bricks. Marlene what do I do?" 

Alice crouched to meet the girl's eyes, "Ember, we all knew you guys were soulmates, do you not remember the beginning of 6th Year?"

*flashback*

Professor Flitwick stepped up to his podium, "Okay class for the rest of the week, we will be working on the patronus charm. I will put you in pairs. Lupin and Greengrass, Black and Holland, Potter and Pettigrew, Evan and ..." When Flitwick had announced all of the partners, she walked over to Sirius, "What's Up Sirius, no offense to your friends, but i'm glad I got you." Sirius smiled at her, taking her hand and leading her to the back of the classroom. "Careful there hottie, I already know how to do this, lets see you try it." he encouraged her. She closed her eyes, trying to think of a feeling. She thought of her first kiss, with Fabian Prewett. "Expecto Patronum" she yelled. A mist came out of her wand. 

"it okay, pretty good for a first try. Give it another go, but with a better memory. It can even be a feeling." She nodded her head at his words thinking of the first time she met all of her closest friends, "Expecto Patronum!" a mist was slowly forming into a 

raven...

"Its beautiful Ember." Sirius said as he and Ember watched it glide around the room. "Thanks Sirius, what's yours?" "You'll find out. Professor Flitwick, me and my partner completed the spell, can we show it?" "Maybe in our next class Mr. Black"

* * * *

"Professor Flitwick it's the next class, can Holland and I show our Patronuses? Please Professor..." "Yes Mr. Black, go ahead."  Sirius ran over to Ember, taking her hand and pulling her across to the center of the room. "Ember now's our time to show it off, okay? You got this, i'll go first." She nodded, wishing him good luck. He performed the charm perfectly, showing a silver dog. 

It was now her turn, she thought of meeting the marauders, Lily, Alice and Marlene. "Expecto Patronum" A bright light shot out of her wans showing a doe now. Each one of the marauders had an equally shocked reaction to Ember's Patronus.

When the class was over, the marauder's approached her. "Hello my Firebird, it seems we are now destined to be together." he said to her, putting an arm over her shoulder. 

She scoffed at him, shoving his arm off, "I know i'm going to regret asking this, but what do you mean?" 

I mean, since our patronuses are the same, we are soulmates now." he told her, grinning lopsidedly at her, giving her butterflies. 

She just turned and walked away. "So scorchie will you go on a date with me?" 

She gave him the middle finger, still walking away "Shove it Potter."

He watched her walk away, a smile forming on his face before he turned and walked the opposite way.

*end flashback*