P R E F A C E

THE END OF THE WORLD came on cloudless, sunny Tuesday morning.

There was no massive flood, no apocalyptic hail storm. There were no freak storms, no earthquakes, no swarm of locusts. No matter how many times I went over the details, they remained painfully average. Every stereotypical indication that my life as I knew it was about to fall apart was mysteriously missing. And although the obvious lack of ominous premonitions should have thrown me off, it didn't. I was disturbingly unfazed. 

I blamed science. 

Having been raised by two scientists, marine biologists to be exact, meant I was intimately familiar with Murphy and all of his infamous laws. They were the closest thing to a guidebook I had. According to my parents, understanding the inevitability of failure was more important than long division. To put it simply, if anything can go wrong, it will. And even if things seemingly can't go wrong, they will anyways just to keep things interesting. That's just the way the world worked – it's all I'd ever known.

And to top it off, I was still terrible at long division.

Now, Murphy doesn't discriminate. His laws reach far beyond the confines of science, applying themselves to anything and everything. First dates, job interviews, weddings, important football games, even crossing the street. If it can be ruined, eventually it will be.

So, in retrospect, things were already too good and it wasn't sitting well with science. Business was constant, treatments were working, everyone was getting along – what should have been the beginning was becoming the end. Things were too smooth for too long, which more or less translated to begging the universe for it to intervene. It was just a matter of time until science came around, reminding us all of the natural order of things. And when it did, Karma and her legendary bitchiness paled in comparison. 

My reminder came in the form of a pink slip taped to the double glass doors of the Marathon Aquarium and Marine Rehabilitation Centre. Just this tiny, flimsy, seemingly harmless scrap of paper held up by scotch tape that had the power to change everything

Stupid Murphy. 

          – – – 

Authors Note : Not quite a chapter, but we're getting there! This is just a kind of preface, so that you have a feel of what Thea's like and a general idea of what's already happening in chapter one. I'm sorry it took me so long to start the story, the last few months after graduation have been absolutely hectic and writing was near impossible. But I'm here now, and I promise I'll be as consistent as humanely possible. Uni starts in two weeks, so I'll try to squeeze in as many updates as I can before. thank you so so so much to those who have been patient, and to those who added this story to their library, you all rock. 

Please comment and/or vote and let me know what you think! It would mean the absolute world to me !! (: 

ellie