Chapter One : Making Waves and Beginnings

"THEA?"

I blinked, perking up at the sound of my name breaking through my muddled thoughts. My train of thought fell away, lulling me back into reality. I wrinkled my nose, everything attacking my senses all at once. Sea salt, cleaning detergent, and the unmistakable smell of raw fish; a smell I knew so well I was willing to bet I'd recognize it in my sleep. Not that it was very hard. I blinked again, becoming semi-aware of my surroundings. The blueish glow of the tank, the sound of splashing water, the cool metal bench biting into my thighs, the low hum of the generators. Minor details, but nonetheless important. Slowly the aquarium began to reappear in all it's familiar glory.

          "Earth to Thea Grayson, do you read?"

Instantly my previously unfocused eyes zeroed in on a lightly tanned, over-accesorized hand waving wildly in front of my eyes, inches from my nose. Any closer and I was at major risk of being slapped in the face, or maybe getting a nose bleed. I thought of my white uniform shirt and frowned. Not exactly my idea of fun. I turned over, away from the threat of spending my night hand washing and bleaching my clothes, coming face to face with a pair of wide green eyes way too close for comfort. Like so close my eyes crossed, turning what were once two eyes into one, like some kind of cyclops. Very overwhelming, very unpleasant, not something I would recommend. 

I jumped back, almost falling off the edge of the bench in the process, barely catching the flash of coppery hair and a toothy grin before a stack of papers was dropped onto the bench space beside me with an echoing thud.

Fortunately I caught myself from falling over, saving myself both a bruised body and ego, still dazed and more than slightly confused. 

As if on cue, there was a bark of laughter, then my best friend's body appeared in my line of vision looking much more human thanks to the new distance. She collapsed against the far wall, her shoulders still shaking violently. 

We were in one of the empty viewing areas, complete with colourful stickers of fish stuck to the ceiling. It was supposed to make the room fun and educational. Another stunt to pull in customers. I had different ideas that didn't necessarily include spending the afternoon with safety scissors and colouring pencils, but clearly I was outvoted. 

A large tank stretched out in front of us, taking up most of the wall, the water behind it still. It's latest occupant, a baby reef shark named Rico, had been discharged yesterday, making it one of the only quiet rooms in the building. 

Well, it was.  

          "It's about time you came to," Rosie scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "I've been standing here for twenty minutes. I thought about pushing you off but I guess today's your lucky day," She motioned to the Mount Everest of papers. "My hands were full."

Still dazed, I reached over to pull the paperwork towards me, sending her a flat look. "Gee, and here I was hoping it was out of the goodness of your heart."

          "Now, where's the fun in that?" 

I rolled my eyes, unable to stop my lips from twitching up into a smile.

Four years ago I was manning the information stand at one of my parents rallies, this one to protect local manatees against oil spills. We were down on the boardwalk by the beach handing out flyers and pamphlets to anyone who would stop to listen, all of us dressed in these identical blue t-shirts with the aquarium's logo printed across the front. I let the twins convince me into tying a bandana around my head and smearing paint under my eyes, like any second I'd start calling out game plays or run off and rob a bank. "This is war Thea! We're fighting for the manatees – we're defending their honour!" We looked ridiculous.