VI.

知らせ
tidings

IF SHE WASN'T MISTAKEN, Chihiro thought Boh might be happier about the whole affair than she was. He insisted on walking her back to Lin, and babbled excitedly the entire time.

Chihiro thought it must be out of character, because every employee they passed seemed intent on steering very clear of him. Most bowing low, others ducking around corners before they could be seen.

She wasn't really surprised — what with the way he had greeted her and all.

He must have a reputation.

"Since you don't remember much, I'll have you stick close to Lin," Boh told her. "Just do as she says and you should be fine." His cheeks turned pink when Chihiro looked at him.

"Okay," she murmured distractedly. "I can do that."

The bathhouse was in full tilt now, and it was jam-packed with spirits of all sorts. Great big fat ones, and tiny ones that looked like rabbits. There was even one that looked like a strange knobby tree.

Many stared after her, noses wrinkled.

They found Lin folding towels, grumbling to herself about something or the other.

Boh cleared his throat.

"What?" Lin snapped irritably, whisking around. Her mouth fell open and she floundered. "Sir, I'm so sorry. I didn't know it was you." Her gaze darted quickly to Chihiro and her brow creased.

Boh straightened with great dignity. "No matter. Sen has signed a new contract with the bath house and she will be shadowing you for a few weeks to get the feel of how things work around here." He snuck a peek at Chihiro. "Make sure you take good care of her."

"Of course, sir," Lin said respectfully, bowing. "She's in good hands."

Boh turned to Chihiro, all the professional man in charge. "If you need anything, my door is always open. I look forward to seeing you again." Then he nodded once and swept from the room.

They watched him go, and once he was gone Chihiro let out a giggle. Lin was still staring after him in disbelief, and that only made Chihiro laugh harder.

"What just happened?" Lin finally peeled her gaze away to examine Chihiro suspiciously. "Why was he so... nice? What did you do to him?"

Chihiro swallowed down a snort and covered her mouth with her hand. "Turns out we were friends when I came here last. Don't get me wrong, I was surprised too. One second he was cold as ice and the next he was blushing like a school girl."

Lin blinked. "You have to be joking. I've seen that boy hang someone upside down just for coughing in the same room as him."

"Honestly, I'm starting to think he's been harboring a crush on me all these years," Chihiro admitted. "He's the one who wrote up the contract for me."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Lin backtracked. "What did you just say?"

Chihiro felt her stomach turn over. "He wrote up my contract?" she repeated with a great deal more hesitation.

"The last time Mr. Prissy Pants wrote a contract, the poor spirit who signed got stuck with the absolute worst circumstances! Toilets, stink baths, horrible hours!" she cried.