V.

sen

CHIHIRO WAS SCARED. The name Yubaba did not rest well on her tongue, and the more doors she opened, the tighter her chest became.

Vague memories of helplessness and fear clawed their way into her throat. Stuck there. Choked her. She felt like she was going to be sick.

Whatever this witch had done to her, it had left its mark.

She had to have pushed open at least twenty doors before finally reaching the office at its end. An enormous, elegant desk sat directly ahead of her and a great fire mantle lay to the left.

It was beautiful, but Yubaba was nowhere to be seen.

A strange thumping followed by low grunting came from somewhere to the right. Chihiro turned.

Three green, squarish, disembodied heads rolled over one another, hopping towards her. All at once, they stacked themselves and took to staring at her creepily. Grunted some more.

Chihiro swallowed. Backed away very slowly. She remembered drawing these things, but they were so much worse in person.

The heads didn't seem to like that and tumbled down, hopping towards her rapidly and grunting harshly.

Frightened, she tripped over herself in her haste. She squeezed her eyes shut and braced for impact, but collided with something before she could make it very far.

With someone.

Chihiro spun, startled.

A teenage boy, maybe sixteen or seventeen, stared down at her, lip curled. He wiped off his hands on his pants, and stepped back some, straightening his pressed vest.

His black hair was brushed neatly from his face and his features were pinched in distaste. "Who are you?"

"I—" Chihiro glanced over her shoulder at the green heads, but they had retreated some and now sat quietly a few yards away. She looked back at the boy, and shook her head, confused. "I'm sorry, but where did you come from?"

The boy stared at her. "I asked who you are," he said stiffly.

"I'm—" she hesitated, unsure of what name she should use "— I'm looking for Yubaba," she said instead. "I need a job."

Adjusting the cuff of his shirt, the boy wandered towards the desk, leaning against its corner. "You're human," he said, and sniffed particularly. "What could you possibly want a job in the spirit world for?"

Chihiro opened her mouth. Shut it. Frowned a little. "Is Yubaba around?"

He folded his arms over his chest. "My mother is a very busy woman."

"Look," she said, starting to get a little annoyed. "I just really need to speak with her."

The boy scoffed. "And I'm supposed to care, why?"

Chihiro screwed up her lips, thoroughly irritated now. She thought to snap back, but stopped herself. Smiled thinly. "I'll just wait."

His eyes narrowed. "You're acting pretty sure of yourself for a human. Not afraid of the big bad spirit world?"

"I might be if this was my first time here." She glared back.