Alek

E. Dickerson. 

This is what the name tag on his shirt says. This man seems severe. He lowers the newspaper to look at me with a scowl on his face and I want to shrug and ask "What?" Who wears sunglasses in a building? This guy apparently.

I want to sigh so bad that my chest tightens as I fight away the urge. I slowly start to look around the room and my attention snaps back to Dickerson as soon as our boss introduces us.

"Mr. Dickerson, this is Miss Pierson. I think I am going to have you help Mr. Dickerson out with a restroom break - he's down here all day. We will talk about your schedule later." 

I reach out to shake my co-workers hand and it's as if a switch flips. He goes from severe to friendly in a fraction of a second and I think he's either unbalanced or the scary face is just for show. I shake firmly and let his hand go. 

"Well... " he says with a giant grin. He draws out well in an amused tone. I'm automatically annoyed. "Nice to meet you Miss Pierson. Welcome to ISS."  

I thank him and give a smile, tight smile. I am ready to leave this room and meet my supervising teacher. I'm here for English - not for whatever this is.  A few giggles bob across the room from behind the partitions.

These kids know what I know. He's flirting. "Let's get you upstairs." says Hammonds. He hustles to the door - he moves with urgency - all the time I notice - and holds it open for me. I move toward the exit as a cheerful "See you later." follows me out. The students giggle again and this time they are met with the promise of deprivation of movement and activities if they make another sound. The silence is swift and deafening. 

I take in a deep breath, and this time I allow myself to sigh. May seems far, far away. 

***********************************************************************************

English and Remedial Reading. That's what I will be doing here. I meet two people, both of whom I will be working with. Mr. Williams and Dr. Jay.  Dr. Jay is a sweet and friendly older lady. We will teach reading together with an supplemental system that the district has bought. I will be housed in this room. A desk and chair have already been brought in and some supplies are stacked on top. A stapler, staples, pens, paper clips, copy paper, tray sorters, manila folders and a set of materials related to the new reading system. A metal holder is full of freshly sharpened pencils and a package of white erasers sit next to it. 

Dr. Jay doesn't have a class this period. We come on this free period and Hammonds gives her all the information she needs. She says she is thrilled to finally have help, as it was a bit hard when the last paraprofessional left. He had left in September and she'd been alone ever since. She gives me a warm hug. We are going to be friends. I can tell. 

Williams has a class when we come by his room. I stand just a step or two behind Hammond's shoulder and we watch through the rectangle door window as he teaches class. Williams is a short man, neatly dressed with a "To Sir, With Love" vibe going.  He has on a tie *and* suspenders. The teachers chair has been rolled out and left in the middle of the room. A tweed jacket with elbow patches is draped across the back. I feel one of my eyebrows creeping up and arching sharply in disbelief. 

While this English teacher is short, he is also in good shape. He reminds me of a tank with shiny tie up shoes and a groomed salt and pepper beard. I get a good look at his face and decide to let my judgmental eyebrow return to a neutral position. I'm being honest with myself right now - and my honesty finds him attractive. In a word, he's hot. I decide to abandon this train of thought just as the bell rings. The hall floods with children. Williams is waiting to release his kids. A "Thank You. Get out." is heard in a clear, deep voice along the the scraping of chairs and chatter. The door swings open.