The Miserable Mill [5]

"We're here for you, Phil," a worker said as others helped to move Phil.

"Come on," Jimmy said

"You're gonna be all right," A worker said.

"Bear down now, Phil," Another worker said.

"I'm okay!" Phil whimpered.

"Code red! Code red! Code red!" The Foreman called out "Code red! Code red! Code red!"

The workers all grunted as the worked to get the stamping device off of Phil.

"It's too heavy! It won't budge!" Jimmy exclaimed

Violet looked over at the machine and put her hair up in ribbon. She quickly took a piece of gum from a worker's pocket.

"I was saving that for later!" The worker complained.

Violet ignored him and went to the machine, placing wires together, she placed the gum over the two wires so it would stay in place. She lifted a lever causing the stamp to move off Phil, revealing his cut off leg.

"Oh! Oh, boy!" Phil laughed "Half-price pedicures for life!" he looked over the side "If somebody can help me up to my foot, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get back to work," Phil laughed.

"You need to go to a hospital," Violet argued.

"We earned those coupons last month. 50% off Ahab Memorial," A worker claimed.

"Uh, two of us will chip in," Another worker said "We'll get your leg fixed up,"

"It can't be fixed," Sir said as he came into the Mill.

"Oh! I wouldn't say taht," Charles said as he looked over the damage. "I mean, Phil's leg is going to need some...eh...help. But, uh, we're fortunate that, uh, the damage wasn't worse,"

"Wasn't worse? The debarker dispenser is destroyed. Who's responsible?"

"Klaus Baudelaire caused the accident." The Foreman said as he waslked out of his booth "He said he knew how to operate heavy machinery,"

"That's not ture," Violet said.

"Well, now I know that,"

"I meant it was a mistake,"

"Excuses, excuses. Just like your parents," Sir said as workers rolled in a cot for Phil. "They burnt down the town, and now you've come back to finish the job,"

"Sir, be reasonable," Charles said "Perhaps we should reevaluate our safety procedures. Or perhaps we shouldn't let children near dangerous machines,"

"I got a better solution," Sir said "One more mistake, Baudelaires, and I'm gonna send you away to a place where you'll learn the value of discipline and child labor. As it happens, I have just the place in mind," Sir looked at all the workers "Now get back to work! This mistake has cost me an inordinate amount of money,"

Violet caught Charles' arm before he could follow after Sir "It was an accident. Klaus didn't mean to hurt Phil. I know it,"

"I'm sorry. When Sir gets like this, there's nothing I can do," Charles said.

"So you're just gonna do nothing? If you can't speak up for us, at least speak up for yourself,"

Charles sighed "You're right, my dear. I've been a silent partner for too long. And this mill...it has too many secrets. It's time you learned one about your parents," he took out a sheet of paper.

"Charles?" Sir called out.

Charles put the paper back "Meet me after lunch in the library,"

"You can't tell us now?" Violet asked.