The Wide Window [3]

After Violet lit some candles, The Baudelaires sat down to eat.

Klaus looked at the empty seat next to him.

"We'll save some for her..." Violet told him before turning to Sunny "I know you don't care for the sound," she told Sunny "but maybe I could use your rattle to invent a burglar alarm so Aunt Josephine won't have to rely on piles of cans,"

"And, Sunny, you can have the deck of cards. You enjoy playing poker more than I do," Klaus reasoned.

"That leaves you with the doll,"

"Plenty of boys enjoy playing with dolls. Although, I would rather a book,"

"That doesn't seem fair,"

"At least Aunt Josephine's trying. She wanted to get us gifts, even though she didn't know what we liked. We shouldn't complain,"

"You're right. She means well. Even though she's terrified of everything, we shouldn't complain,"

"You're right," Klaus chuckled "I want to complain anyway,"

Violet chuckled "Let's get to work," she picked Sunny up and they headed into the library.

"Aunt Josephine told us that all the answers we need were in her library, but she made a grammatical error,"

"Wait, let me get this straight. Aunt Josephine made a grammatical error?"

"The word library is singular, meaning one. But this isn't one library, it's two. The one you see here..." he pushed the sliding case away "...and the one you don't. Aunt Josephine might not open up, but her safe might,"

"That won't be easy. That's why people have safes. Most safes use three numbers. That means that there are thousands of possible combinations,"

"One million," Klaus corrected "Aunt Josephine said that she and our parents developed secret codes. In some codes, numbers substitute for letters and words,"

"If it's words. It'd have to be something she'd remember. Something she cares about,"

"Grammar?"

"Too many letters,"

"What else does she care about? Cold food?"

"Doorbell safety?"

"Avoiding questions about anything we want to know?"

"Ike!" Sunny babbled.

"That's three letters long," Violet said.

Klaus knelt by the safe "I is the ninth letter of the alphabet. Eleven is for K. And E, the fifth," he turned the handle, unlocking the safe.

Violet opened a tin "Crackers?"

"Safe crackers," Sunny babbled.

Klaus took out sheet music "Very high-pitched Beethoven,"

"That's Ike's whistling music. And look..." Violet took out some black and white photos.

"Aunt Josephine wrestling with an alligator?"

"And winning,"

"Boxing. Skydiving,"

"Who jumps out of a plane for fun?"

"Cooking with fire. She wasn't scared of anything,"

"What happened to her?"

Klaus took out a book "The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations,"

"All the answers are in here. Even if our guardian won't tell us anything, we can still find out what we're looking for,"

"Not the doorknob! Not the doorknob!" Aunt Josephine called out, causing the Baudelaires to quickly put away the contents back into the safe. "Baudelaires. Baudelaires, there you are. Sunny! I found something very interesting in the town market and petting zoo,"