➳ 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳'𝘴 𝘬𝘪𝘴𝘴

note: this chapter is connected from the previous part; christmas eve.

—1986-1987—

Since the day of Christmas, Mike and Will have not seen each other in that short period of time. The Byers' have left the Wheeler residence right after they had breakfast, and after opening the presents; like what Karen has mentioned the night before.

The Wheelers went on a family trip, visiting some of their relatives from other cities and states—meaning, it was quite hard for Will to radio Mike since there was not enough signal. In view of that fact, they haven't spoken to each other for about six days now.

Today was the 31st of December; the last day of the year 1986. This year was a beautiful year—well, mainly for Mike and Will. For them, it was so much better than the past few years that they've experienced.

It was 4 pm, and inside the youngest boy's bedroom, there was Will sinking on his bed; legs up, with a book that he borrowed a couple days ago from the library—resting on his raised lap. On the right side of his stomach, there was a bag of chips leaning on it.

It was the last day of the best year yet, but there Will was, just chilling in his room while eating chips and reading fictional books.

Sighing, he put his legs down, looking straight to the wall in his sight. When will he come back? Am I not seeing him until next year? Will thought, eyebrows furrowed. It didn't matter if he wasn't seeing Mike until 1987, because it will be the 1987th in just a few hours. But he wanted to have the last glimpse of his boyfriend before his favourite year yet, ends.

Just as he was about to raise his legs back up and continue reading the fictional book he was casting an eye over, there was a subtle knock on his bedroom door. He then raised his legs up, focusing his eyes on the page before speaking, "Come in."

The door creaked lightly as it slowly opens. Will didn't pay attention to whoever was entering his room—he knew it could be Jonathan or his mom—so he tried to focus on the same paragraph he's been trying to peruse for the past couple minutes. Still without looking up, he took another piece of chips as the door shuts close.

"Hi."

Will's heart skipped a beat; his eyes went slightly wide as he recognizes the voice he's been waiting to hear in forever.

Finally looking up, Will's face beamed, with twinkling eyes as he sees the tall figure smiling shyly at him, standing in his doorway.

He quickly got off his unmade bed, rushing to the tall boy with a huge grin plastered on Will's face.

"Mike!" he excitedly yells as he reached the Wheeler boy, wrapping his arms around the tall boy's neck.

Mike giggled, wrapping his long arms around the smaller boy's tiny waist. "Hey, baby." he greets with a soft voice; his head burying in Will's warm neck.

Will pulled his head out for a second to get a glimpse of his boyfriend's beautiful face, then hugged him tighter once more.

"I missed you! I missed you so so much!" Will partly yells with a muffled voice.

"I missed you too!" Mike says, gripping tighter onto the smaller boy's waist.

After squeezing each other with their arms and telling each other how much they've missed one another, the couple walked over to Will's bed, as Mike plopped himself down in the hay.

Will sat on the same spot he was at a couple minutes ago, crossing his legs on top of each other. He took hold of the bag of chips, grabbing one from the inside. He stretched his hand to Mike's direction, offering him some. Mike took a handful without hesitation, earning a slight slap from the smaller boy.