❀[003]❀

The neighbors car door slammed shut making you quickly scurry downstairs to peek out the window. You pulled back the curtains and watch as the car quickly pulled out the driveway making the tires screech as they sped off totally not going the speed limit at all. You looked over to the front door, swiping the pair of pliers you had bought off the counter on your way out.

You looked around the streets double checking to make sure absolutely no one was out. No cameras. No kids. No people. Perfect. You quickly ran across your front yard into the neighbors and stomped up there front porch. You halted when you spotted the small bird cage strung up from the roof.

There she was... A pretty little finch. Her beautiful grey and brown feathers lightly reflected off the porches dim yellow lighting. She fluttered and flapped, smacking against the sides of the cage making your heart ache whenever she cried out for freedom.

"Hey... It's okay. I promise."

She was afraid. When birds are scared they don't like anyone. It's best to leave them be but... You'd be setting her free so it's worth the chance if getting bitten. You gripped on to small lock on the cage and pinched the pliers down onto it. Your hands trembled from the pressure... it was much harder then it looked. You wish people stopped making cutting things with pliers look so easy. You should've got something bigger... Bolt cutters would be far to big for the small lock but damn... Why'd you go with pliers?

Red marks began to morph into your palms as you squeezed harder and harder until finally the tiny lock made a small snapping noise and fell off. You made a sigh out on relief, lifting the cage door upwards, unhinging it and opening the gateway.

The birds small chest rise and fell quickly as fear continued to rule her life. It ran through her mind, body, blood. Yet... She hesitantly hopped out of the cage before taking off without even saying goodbye, you smiled watching her fly far away. The bird sang and sang with a sweet melody it never had sung before. One of happiness, one of freedom. Other birds sang with her, she was finally happy. She wasn't trapped anymore sometimes it just takes one person to help set you free.

You glaced back to notice something in the cage. Was this supposed to be... A bracelet or something? A collar for a bird? All you knew was that it was an adjustable ribbon with a small cubed charm on it.

The sounds of a car speeding down the road made you throw yourself off the porched into a rose bush. Not fun. You bit down onto your lips as thorns dug into your skin. You huddled into the bush trying to get submerged as possible. As the cars tires screeched once more, you could hear them pulling into the driveway. The doors slammed shut and you could her footsteps pounding up the stairs.

They were just about to reach the front door until a loud cursed could be heard. They slowly stepped over to the cage, grabbing it and slamming it into the wall. A stressed scream came out of the person making you analyze her voice... It was definitely a pissed off teen or middle aged woman. You could hear the small snaps of a lighter being clicked on to light a cigarette.

The woman leaned over the porch right above you, her hands trembled as she brought the stick to her mouth trying relax herself. Occasionally, she'd flick the ashes down on top of you making you cringe silently.
You mouthed 'fuck you' over and over as the girl pressed her cigarette to the bottom on her shoe and flicked it on top of your head.

"Fuck. What am I supposed to tell that old hag now... Ya bird left you bitch, It just opened the cage and took off! It was a stupid little twat anyways... She bit me like 50 times whenever I'd feed her." You glanced up to see the woman rub the temples of her nose before going inside.

"...bitch."

You whispered before slowly sliding out the thorny bush and taking off to your house. You slammed the front door leaning against it for support and breathing deeply. You just did that... Was it worth it? Probably not. Is that bird free now? Yes. Did you get some weird ribbon bracelet? Yes. Is the neighbor probably going to come by later and interrogate you...? Definitely.

You fiddled with the cube in-between your fingers... It was oddly warm. The warmth from a cup of tea or holding onto another person. You scrunched up your nose and decided to go to bed in the meantime. You'd tell Cathy about everything tomorrow and figure out more about the bracelet.