CHAPTER 11 - Façades

"Captain's awfully quiet, isn't she?" Your knights whispered. "She's been really diligent with her work too" your vice captain added.

"Captain, do you want to go eat dessert? There's this new parfait store that opened. You like those kinds of food, right?" Another knight asked you out as you smiled tiredly.

"Ah, I have to pass. Work is still not finished" you replied as they wore a worried expression.

"I know you guys are worried but this matter isn't to be taken lightly" you told them, crossing your arms and sighed.

"But Captain... You haven't even taken a single refresher. We don't see you eating in the banquet hall too" your vice captain pointed out.

"I assure you that I'm fine" you smiled.

"Was it something with Captain Vangeance?" They asked as you furrowed your brows indicating that it is.

"You usually go out to check up on him and if you don't, he'll be visiting you everyone now and then..." They told you as you realized how close you've gotten.

"Ah? Is that really what happens? Well I suppose he's busy too, he's a captain afterall" you defended yourself aswell as defending Vangeance.

"Captain!" You turned around to the sudden call. The knight saluted at you and spoke, "The Wizard King has asked for your presence." you nodded and quickly said your goodbyes.

•••

"You asked for my presence—oh..." You finished when you saw the very Captain you didn't want to see as of now. You continued to walk forward, saluting to the Wizard King.

"Ah! I'm glad you've accepted the invitation" Julius smiled like the father figure he is.

"How could I not?" You replied seriously. Both Vangeance and Julius noticed how tired you look. Your eyes were sunken, your lips were dry, your radiance was dim.

"I have a mission for the both of you. I need you to find the location of the stones and since you two work greatly, I have entrusted this to you" Julius cleared his throat to also clear the tension.

"I don't need an accomplice" you said, knowing well that Vangeance would also get a upper hand in this situation.

"No, I insist" he said as you glared.

"It seems like you two weren't as friendly as usual" Julius laughed as you saluted and left. Vangeance followed after you, "Your manners are lacking, Captain (L/n)"

"Oh I apologize" you said, deprived of emotions. You started your investigations  from reading books and talking to travellers.

So far, you've found one last intel, the vast sea but that's all, no location, no leads.

"Where could it be" you placed your hand on your chin.

"The sea bed temple" Vangeance smiled as if he's mocking you, but in reality, he's not. You gritted your teeth knowing that he knew all along.

"The other stones, I know where they are. Thankyou for that information" you said and left to see the stone tablet. You sighed in relief when the stones were still on the same count as before.

"Do you think it's a safe choice to be here with me?" Vangeance asked with his charismatic smile.

"You can't do anything about it wether you're Vangeance or Patri. Julius knows you've accompanied me and if I die here while you're unscathed, it would put suspicion on you, wouldn't it?" You said.