Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Padme and Anakin sat in the cockpit of the senator's silver cruiser as it sped through hyperspace. There had been silence between the two for some time until Anakin cleared his throat who was no doubt dreading the quiet.

"So, you want the baby's room to be by the gardens?" He asked, giving her a small smile. Padme turned her chair to face his, her hands resting over her swollen belly.

"Yeah, they can have our old room. We can take the upstairs bedroom with the skylights and the massive hammock bed..." Anakin chuckled as he listened to her.

"We'll need to work pretty fast, the baby will be coming soon." He commented, reaching over to cover her hand with his. Padme stood up and walked over in front of him.

"True. I can send Teckla a message and see if she can start setting up the baby's room."

"Good idea." He said a smirk coming to his face as he watched her move about. Padme glanced over her shoulder as the comm station warmed up.

"What are you smirking at, Skywalker?" His smirk grew broader and he met her chocolate colored eyes.

"Just the beauty of my wife; is that a problem, Amidala?" He playfully mocked baxk. She turned around with her arms crossed.

"Yes, you only use that excuse when you're up to something." He held up his hands in surrender, still smiling slightly.

"I was just thinking how you will be as a mother, that's all." He said, leaning back in his chair.

"And just what about me being a mother? What's going through that twisted mind of yours?" His smile dropped slightly and he spoke seriously.

"About how I can't wait to see your expression when you hold the baby, rocking it to sleep for the first time." A small smile came to her face and she placed a hand on the side of her stomach as though thinking.

"He's gonna be adorable..."

"You keep saying 'he' but I know it's going to be a girl." Anakin answered, smiling triumphantly. He was dead sure the child his wife was carrying would be a girl.

"Well, I'm sure you're full of it ask usual. This baby will be a boy, call it mother's intuition."

"Alright, alright! We're not going to go around this again! We'll just have to wait and see but she'll be a beautiful little girl nonetheless." He said with a gesture of his hand.

"Whatever," She walked over and kissed his temple. He tilted his head up to kiss her lips softly. It seemed that everything that had happened in the last few days was nothing but a bad dream. She cupped his cheeks with both of her hands. Just as she felt herself slipping, a powerful set of kicks started.

"Whoa." Anakin said using both hands to steady her as she stiffened from the actions of the baby.

"Ani?" She whispered. "I think this baby has more than two feet. Are you sure you're not a sexy alien?"

"What are you talking about?" He asked, getting out of his seat and carefully lowering her into it.

"I felt two feet on this side," She motioned to her left side. "Plus another two feet on my other side." Padme froze in her seat and locked gazes with him. "You don't think..."

"Twins..." Anakin breathed, his whole expression somewhere between ecstatic and terrified.

"Mother Goddess..." The babies started kicking again. She moved both her hands over their feet, rubbing gently. "If there's two of you, I'm telling you right now to stop fighting. It hurts..." For his part Anakin sat back on the floor, looking up at her with an awed expression on his face which had gone a shade paler than normal.