ACT ONE| 18

Men & Gods

Men & Gods

Lyonesse Harbor, Lyonesse, Saprea

When the sun had risen Rolerio was on the ship that sailed to the Saprean coast. The winds had been kind and their journey had lasted a mere five days. His dark locks were softly flying in the warm wind and the day was beautiful with the sun shining down on him. A high-masted ship from the Lakelands was beating into the port, in white sails huge with the wind. Rolerio's ship moved past it, pulling steadily for shore.

The Valicios family was lined up at the end of the dock, solemn faces looking at him. From the land, Cassius stood with his brothers Lucius and Thodoris while Sandro stood to the side with the honor guard. They stood with their house banners pridefully. Sandro had not asked for Lucius, no more than he'd asked for Cassius or any of the rest, but his father felt Stravos Solattos might take it ill if only a bastard came out to escort him across the country.

Father should have met the Lakelanders himself, each of his children reflected as they stood waiting, but he would have mucked it up, no doubt. Of late the King had been plotting to run the Lakelanders poor so they'd have little to no resources and they'd have to depend on Saprea for resources.

"He should be humbled by the sight of Saprea," Sandro said aloud as they waited. Clearly, he was speaking to one of his half-brothers.

Cassius ran over the agenda once more with one of the diplomats below him, Sisseno Pierre. "The other Lakeland ambassador will accompany him from the key side to greet me at this dais, correct."

The man below him nodded every chance he got between Cassius's pauses.

"And then we'll set forth to the palace to meet my father."

So that is exactly the procedure that followed when Rolerio landed. Except, they did not expect Rolerio to be the only one of the Lakeland royal family to arrive. It was him and Prince Kano, who acted more like a bodyguard.

When he approached Cassius with his retinue, he could sense that he was being judged. The rulers and lords that accompanied him wore silk robes and jeweled belts and streaming sleeves. They arrived in blue and silver with small embellishments of enameled shining silver and gold. They came in immodestly.

The Lakelander leader walked on the land as if he had been born there. He was the very epitome of water. His eyes were hooded and were like a teardrop curve. His movements were fluid. A cloak of pale blue silk fluttered from his shoulders.

"I welcome you, my lords. We had word of your approach, and His Majesty bid me ride out to welcome you in his name." Cassius looked amongst the many nobles. "Which of you is King Stravos?"

Rolerio stepped forward. "My father's health requires that he remain at Seakey. As the prince regent, he has sent me to attend the wedding and coronation in his stead, as it pleases His Majesty."