3

MADISON'S POV

When I got to the hospital Anne and Jackson were already there. Anne looked up as I burst through the door, tears in her eyes. I was having trouble controlling my own.

I reached for my dad's hand. He was so pale, I had never seen anyone look so weak.

"I called Harry," Anne said softly. "He should be here soon"

Harry? I felt my heart speed up a little. I couldn't remember the last time I saw him.

I just nodded my head and focused my attention on my dad. All of a sudden one of the machines hooked up to him began to beep rapidly, and two nurses rushed in.

"What's happening? Is he okay?" Jackson said, I could hear the panic in his voice.

"I - uh- could you all please go out into the hallway for a moment?" One of the nurses asked and the three of us walked out.

As they worked to stabilize him (I'm assuming) I decided to hunt for a vending machine. I needed water and I couldn't handle standing there and waiting.

I turned the corner and froze. He was maybe 10 feet away. Harry.

Our eyes met and his facial expression changed. He froze just as I did. He opened his mouth but before he could say anything I turned on my heels and bolted back down the hallway to where Anne and Jackson were waiting.

Not today Styles.

Obviously Harry was right behind me, but at least then I wouldn't have to be alone with him.

Not yet anyway.

I nearly crashed into Anne outside of the waiting room, who gave me a concerned look before she noticed Harry.

He gave both Jackson and his mom a hug before turning to me. He reached out and I hesitated before giving him a high five.

"Good to see you," I said abruptly.

Nice one Madison. That wasn't awkward at all.

Anne looked between the two of us, confused, but shook it off. Things had gotten sort of weird with Harry in the last few years, we stopped spending much time together when One Direction took their break, and he hadn't really been there during dad's treatment.

"Thank you for coming so quickly, Harry, I'm glad we could be here together" Anne said as she gave her son another hug.

We stood in silence for a few minutes before the doctor came out, the look on his face said it all.

"I'm very sorry, Mrs. Fayes, we're loosing him. We'd like you to come in and say your goodbyes."

***
I stood in the room alone, we decided to take turns before we'd all come together. I had a few minutes before the others would join me.

I sat on the edge of my dad's bed, he looked calm. I couldn't remember the last time I had seen him so relaxed.

I took a deep breath, "I never thought I would be doing this..."

After my mom died, our family dynamic changed drastically, and then again when Anne became part of our family. But my dad made sure to put Jackson and I first, always.

"I just have to say thank you," I could feel the tears in my eyes, "I am so lucky to have you as my dad. All of the unconditional love and support, I love you."

Anne, Jackson, and Harry joined me in the room. I stood quietly, looking around.

I know I was opposed to them all of those years ago, but I can't tell you how grateful I am to have Anne in my life. And... Harry too.

Jackson and I would always have her, we were all in this together.

"I love you all," my dad said.

***

The four of us walked back to the apartment slowly. It was hard losing my mom, now without my dad I felt lost.

Jackson and I need Anne, and I know she'll be there for us. We are there for her too.

Anne unlocked the door and her and Jackson went inside. Before I could follow them, Harry grabbed my arm.

"Mads," he managed.

I couldn't look at him.

"I'm so sorry," he said. He put his hand under my chin forcing me to look up at him. My heart was racing.

"I missed you."

I took a deep breath. "Thank you for being here. It means a lot to your mom..." I said.

"And you?" He asked.

I opened my mouth, "Well... yes... but..."

He shook his head. "We don't have to talk about it now, I'll be hanging around for a while."

How long is a while?

Thank you for your patience, this week got kind of crazy with the holidays! Hope you all are doing well xo