4

HARRY'S POV

Mum went to bed pretty early. Jackson and Mads both went to their rooms and I decided to sit in the living room for a while. It feels like forever ago that Mum and I were moving into their old house.

I can't imagine what Madison and Jackson are feeling now. Losing one parent is hard but losing two feels impossible. I know mum is hurting, she loved Chris.

I sent Niall a text updating him. Tomorrow we'd make announcements and plans for the funeral. I feel as though I should invite the other boys, but no guarantee they'd show up. We haven't been so close during our solo careers. But they did know Madison and spent a decent amount of time with all of us.

****

"Harry!" I could hear Madison whisper-shouting.

I bolted up, "geez Mads you sure know how to give someone a heart attack"

I guess at some point I must've dozed off on the couch.

"Harry it's like 3am, you should be in bed not on the couch"

"Yeah yeah. What are you doing up?"

She flopped on the couch next to me.

"Well, I was asleep. Then I woke up. Now I'm here."

"I see."

We sat in silence for a minute before turning to me.

"Harry," she says, "how are you?"

"How am I? It doesn't matter how I am, I'm not the one who just lost my parent" I told her.

She sighed and looked up at the ceiling. "I know, but everyone's going to be asking how I am for the next few months of my life. I want to hear about you. You've been a hot topic in my office."

I forgot she was working for Vogue. She'd probably been stuck hearing about me for months on end.

"Things have been good. Sort of weird doing everything on my own... but I'm growing."

I told her a little bit about my music, how things have been with friends and how on my own traveling has been. I'm grateful for it and I've been able to grow as myself and explore my own music, but there are times when I miss hanging out with Niall, Liam, Louis and Zayn.

She nodded. "I'm happy for you."

She looked at me and I looked at her. I could tell she was tired, upset and stressed. But she looked beautiful as ever.

"Let's get you back to bed," I said standing up. I put my hand out for her to grab.

We walked down the hallway together and I stopped at her door. We looked at each other again.

"Good ni—" I began but she cut me off with a hug.

I was a little taken by surprise, but I rested my head on top of hers.

"Thank you Harry." She said gently. "I'm glad you're here."

I smiled. "Good night Madison."