Part Eight: The Tempest

"AN OUTSTANDING ACTING CAN BE EITHER AN ESCAPE FROM THE CURRENT HAPPENINGS IN YOUR LIFE, OR SIMPLY ENJOYING THE UNNOTICED ADVANTAGE OF PRETENDING."

- SARAH HENRY

THERE'S COLDNESS AND lack of air when I woke up at five am. Breathing heavily while recalling any predicament reasons why the feelings occurred. The soft, thin blankets covered my lap, soothing my trembling skin before my short air intake started to tame itself. I saw the freshly crumpled pillow where Emily had slept, sitting properly before I rubbed my stinging eyes; getting myself ready—I walked towards my bathroom door and closed it before I warily glanced at my reflection.

My blonde hair had grown a few inches longer, with a lovely wave like a well-bred lass at every end. Having no signs of a girl taken from foster care. It used to have a length no longer than past shoulders, but now it covers half of my back. My skin grew paler and porcelain, but my eyes appeared to be dark, and the slightest hint of red flickered before it disappeared.

I curiously lean closer, staring before a loud knock startled me. "Mary Jane?" a soft feminine voice called. I took a sharp breath and turned the tap. Glancing at the door, I recomposed myself, knowing that Emily wouldn't mind.

The water covers the sound of desperate and slow knocks. Before I breathe deeply and grasp the knob, opening the door...

There's no one there.

The temperature in my room started to rise, and the hair on my arms stood as the cold and unsettling air crawled against my skin. I remained still, and the sound of heavy and terrified beat hammers against my chest. My stomach turned before I ran to my front door, opened it, and slammed it shut far too loudly, feeling scared to even utter a sound.

I look around the deserted hallway. But the doors were all closed, isolated from each other while the deafening silence made me feel sick and nauseous, my head felt heavy, and my whole body felt cold and frightened.

The door in front of me opened, and I swallowed hard, staring at Calvin, who looked as intrigued as me, but his dark eyes glinted in a deeper manner. "Mary Jane," he spoke lightly. How surprising to see you in here," Calvin raised his brow.

I suddenly regret the ruckus I've made, "I'm sorry if I disturbed you or your brothers with my misbehavior early in the morning." The heat crawled up on my cheeks and embarrassed me to slam my door loudly at five-thirty in the morning. I know that I disturbed my nearby dorm neighbors besides three brothers. But that knock and soft voice might've been a figment of my imagination, though it sounds real and-

"You looked pale. Do you want to come in?" he invited. I looked around and thought for a few minutes, deciding if I could trust them. "We won't bite," he added, daring me to enter their territory. I glanced behind my door, and the fear overtook me. I remembered what happened a few minutes ago before walking towards Calvin unconsciously.

His top was barely clothed, but I didn't let my sight travel further, reminding myself of the proper etiquette and discipline I've learned throughout my growth. Calvin opened the door amidst my hesitation, taking my first step but stopping abruptly in my tracks.

The room was larger than mine, painted with dark luminous blue and several mirrors, and lightened by white and aqua. The furniture was modern, not like the antique and medieval atmosphere like mine. Their bed was larger than the king-sized, but what startled me was the people on top of it, including Alexis, the two familiar girls, and Calvin's brothers, barely clothed before doing a strange manner, touching each other's skin while emitting sounds that are not even a scream.

Calvin covered my eyes, whispering softly in my ears, "I apologized; I forgot that my brothers and I are currently doing some activity. But we can discuss your thing in our closet." He offered lightly, I was about to decline, but he turned my head and buried it in his chest, leading me on a certain path, before he closed the wooden door, setting me free. The closet was not the small one I'd expected, but rather a large and neatly organized one, almost the size of my bathroom, laminated and painted with white and darkest blue.