37. Chances come and chances go

Josh's POV

It was weird yet exciting to watch John hug Clara and the both of them cry into one another's shoulder.
I never expected this to happen but it made me hopeful and optimistic for the future.
Suddenly, a pat on the back brought me back to the real world. It was Flea. He had tears of joy in his eyes.
"I never envisioned myself being in this situation. Anthony made me realize that my attitude was wrong. It's a bitter sweet moment for me because we're losing this little girl..." He told me.
"You're not losing her! You're welcome to come and see her any time you like." I replied and hugged Flea.

*

We laid in bed, all sweaty because of the passionate sex we just had.
I had my head on John's chest and I listened to his rapid breathing. He was all I ever wanted and much more than that.
"What you're thinking about?" He asked me.
"How lucky I am." I replied and kissed him.
"Don't you think I'm too old or too ugly?" John asked.
"What are you talking about? You're beautiful inside and out."
"You're the best thing that happened to me. I love you, J." John told me.
I was about to give him a kiss when our cat Bob jumped on the bed and sat in between us.
"You're jealous, Bob, huh?" I talked to the cat.
"There's soon gonna be one more person in this bed. You'll need to behave, Bob. Babies are fragile." John told our cat.
Bob meowed in response as if he understood what we were saying.

*

This year's Christmas was lovely. Me, John, and John's parents all spent the evening at my parents' house. Both our families got on surprisingly well. Our moms cooked the dinner while our dads played mini golf in the backyard.
"Mini golf is so fucking boring. How can anyone find it entertaining?" John asked me as we were observing our dads through the window.
"It's a dad thing." I said and shrug my shoulders.
"Do you think that it'll happen to us?" He asked.
"Oh, sure. Next Christmas we're gonna be outside playing with them." I joked.
"Holly shit, that makes me question if I really wanna be a dad." John went along with the gag.

*

"Have you seen Clara? How's she doing?" John's dad asked.
"Yes, we spent Thanksgiving together. She complained about her back hurting all the time." I replied.
Both moms nodded their heads.
"How far along is she?" John's mom asked.
"6 months." I answered.
I noticed my mom get up from the table and walk to the kitchen.
When she came back, she was carrying a huge bag. The clinking of glass could be heard as she set it on the table.
"Give it to Clara, please." She said.
"What is it?" John asked.
"Oh, that's my homemade jams, fruit juices and stewed fruit. She needs those vitamins." Mom said and smiled.
"That's so sweet of you!" Said Gail.
John smiled at me and squeezed my hand.
"Thanks, mom. You'll all be amazing grandparents." I said.
"I thought that this day would never come. I'm glad our son found you." John senior told me.
"And I'm glad I've found John. I've never met someone so kind and compassionate." I said and kissed John.
"Oh, stop it, you're gonna make me blush." He replied.

My mom got all of us matching pajama sets, whereas John's parents bought us a vintage turntable.
Me and John contemplated about what to give to our parents and only a couple of days ago we made up our minds. We bought them a trip to Italy, as it's Frusicantes' favorite vacation spot and my mom and dad always dreamed about seeing Venice. They'd spend the New Year's Eve in Venice and then visit Florence, Rome and Naples.
My mom started to cry as she opened the envelope and saw the plane tickets.
"Thank you, I've never been to Europe. Thank you so much!" She said and hugged the both of us.
I was really happy that they enjoyed their surprise. They deserved it.

*

The following morning I was woken up by a call from Bob Forrest.
"Hello?" I answered.
"I'm sorry for waking you up but it's urgent." Bob said.
"Is everything alright?" I asked.
"Oh, yeah! Listen, my friend Mike from Pearl Jam called me. His friend Will is holding a gig in Greek Theater on New Year's Eve. I think Chad's gonna be there..."
"And?" I asked.
"Mike is playing a with a bunch of friends and Eddie's sick, he lost his voice. They need a singer. They're gonna play some covers, he mentioned Prince, T-Rex, Pink Floyd..."
"I'm gonna give the phone to John and you'll give him all the details." I said.
"No, you fucking listen to me. You're gonna play that gig."
"What? No, I can't. I've already got plans. I'm busy, Bob. I'm engaged now, soon to become a father..."
"Cut this bullshit. I'll never talk to you again if you won't play this show. I'll see you at the rehearsal." Bob said.
I hung up the phone and looked at John who had been sleeping next to me.
To my surprise, he was awake and smiling at me."
"I've heard the whole thing. You have to agree. It's a huge chance! T-Rex, you love them, J! You sing their songs in the car all the time." John told me.
"Me? No way. I can't play the guitar well enough and I can't sing! Why don't we call Bob and tell him that you're volunteering to play this show?"
"I'll move out if you do that."
"You can't be fucking serious! Why is everyone threatening me?" I said and got up from the bed.
I pulled my pants on and ran out of the room.
"Wait! Come back!" John shouted to me.
He followed me downstairs, where I put on a jacket and went outside.
John ran after me and left the house barefoot, wearing only boxer briefs. It was a really chilly morning and definitely not the right time to argue outside the house as a couple of neighbors were outside.
"John! Get back inside!" I screamed at him.
"Not until you start acting like an adult and talk to me." He told me.
"How am I supposed to act when my boyfriend's threatening me to move out?"
"Okay, I'm gonna stay right here and freeze to death, then." John replied, his skinny body shaking.
"Oh, for God's sake! Fine, let's go inside and talk." I finally gave in.

"Why don't you want to accept Mike's offer? It's a huge chance for you to gain recognition." John asked me.
"Because I'm insecure."
"I know. You always say so and somehow walk on the stage and steal the show. I know you can do this."
"I'm nobody, why would anyone want to listen to me."
"You don't become a star overnight. Trust me, baby. This show is gonna be a great opportunity. You've got a couple of days to rehearse."
"I don't know, John."
"I can already see everyone's jaws dropping as you begin to sing 'Purple Rain'. You've got all that it takes, J. All of your friends know that. Why do you keep doubting yourself? 2010 is gonna be your year, I know it."
"How?" I asked.
"The sixth sense." John said as if it was a totally normal thing.