36. All will be forgiven

John's POV

On Thanksgiving me and Josh planned to chill out and watch movies. However, an unexpected phone call changed our plans.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw who the caller was.
"Josh, Flea's calling. What should I do?" I asked.
"Don't ask me, do what you wanna to." Josh told me.
I declined the call but Flea kept on calling for the next 15 minutes.
"Fuck, I'll answer." I said.
Josh nodded and hugged me from behind.
"Finally! I know you're mad, John. I'm sorry for my behavior." Flea said.
"I'm not mad at you." I told him.
"I talked to Anthony. He helped me realize stuff..."
"What do you want from me? Why are you calling?"
"You never told me you were gonna adopt Clara's baby..."
"It's between Josh and Clara. Why would I talk to you?"
"Because we're best friends, John!"
"We were best friends until you beat up my fiance."
"Oh, come on! He slept with my daughter!"
"She's 21, Clara's not your little girl anymore. She's decided to give the baby up for adoption. We're just making sure your granddaughter will grow up in a good home, surrounded by love."
"I know... I'm... I'm happy you made that decision."
"You are?!"
"Yes, John. I know you and Josh will be good parents."
"I hope you're not just saying that because Tony told you so."
"No, I mean it. I'd like to invite you and Josh for Thanksgiving dinner."
"I really don't think Josh or I want to come. I'm sorry." I said through gritted teeth.
"You're breaking my heart. Me and Clara spent all day yesterday preparing food so that we could all sit down at a table and talk through any issues, and now you're refusing to come?"
"Fine, we're coming." I gave up.

*

Neither me nor Josh had spoken until he parked on Flea's driveway.
"Do you want me not to talk to Clara?" He asked.
"No, of course not." I answered.
"I know what you think, but I don't have any feelings for her. I just think we should be nice to her because she's carrying our child." Josh told me.
I nodded and gave him a kiss.

Flea opened the door and invited us inside.
"Thanks for coming." He said and gave both of us a hug.
I felt so uncomfortable and, judging by his facial expression, Josh felt the same way.
"I'm really sorry for my behavior. I realized that both you and Clara are adults and I shouldn't have interfered." Flea told Josh.
"It's fine. Thank you for inviting us." Josh replied.
Flea instructed us to go to the living room.
I faked a smile and grabbed Josh's hand. We went to the room and saw Clara standing there and watching us.
She was wearing the tightest and shortest bodycon dress I've seen. Honestly I was shocked to see her big belly. I tried my best not to stare at it.
"Hey Josh." She said and walked up to my fiance.
She hugged him and kissed him on the cheek. Josh squeezed my hand, as if he was assuring me he wasn't interested in her.
"Hi. Looking great!" He told her.
She smiled at Josh and then looked at me.
"Oh hi, John." Clara greeted me and pretended to kiss my cheek.
"Hey, Clara. Long time no see." I said, faking a smile.
"Yeah..." She replied and walked away from me.
"John, could you help me in the kitchen?" Flea called me.
I had no other option but to leave Josh and Clara alone. I looked at them one last time and went to the kitchen.
"Help me get the turkey out of the oven." Flea asked.

*

When I went back to the living room, Clara and Josh were sitting on a couch, laughing.
"What's so funny?" I asked, sitting down next to Josh and wrapping my arm around his wait.
"Oh, I was telling Clara about building the nursery." Josh told me.
I nodded and just tried to join the conversation.
"How did you come up with the name Luna? It's seriously the most beautiful name!" Clara asked Josh.
"John did. It's an Italian word for the Moon and we love watching the night sky." Josh explained.
"I thought it was you... But I still like the name." Clara replied.
Upon hearing her words, I thought I wasn't gonna be able to hold my composure. She had the audacity to be so rude to me despite I was sitting right next to her!
Fortunately, Flea brought food and we all sat at the table.
I barely ate anything at all. I kept looking at Clara who was laughing and flirting with Josh. I was furious.
"Fancy a glass of wine?" Flea asked me.
He opened a bottle of red wine and poured himself a glass.
"Oh, sure. Me and Josh love Merlot." I replied.
"I'd love to have a glass too." Clara said.
"You can't drink alcohol, honey." Flea told her.
"I want just one glass! It's fine, dad." She replied.
Josh looked at me, visibly horrified.
"You're definitely not drinking alcohol while you're pregnant with our daughter." I said.
"Your daughter? From what I know, she's mine and Josh's child, John. The judge hasn't ruled anything yet." Clara replied, smiling sarcastically.
I opened my mouth but was unable to respond. I was livid.
"Why are you so mean to John? What's wrong with you?" Josh yelled at Clara.
I was shocked. I've never heard him raise his voice at someone other than me.
"I'm sorry." She said and rolled her eyes.
That infuriated me even more.
I banged my hand on the table and lifted myself up from the chair.
"What have I done to you? What's your problem?" I asked Clara.
"I think we all need to calm down. Let's just enjoy the dinner..." Flea finally said.
"Why did you invite them over?" Clara asked her dad.
She became red in the face.
"So that you can start acting like an adult and apologize to John." Flea replied.
"Me? And what did I do?" She asked.
"Oh, of course you did nothing wrong, sweetie." I said sarcastically. "I'm outta here. Are you coming, Josh?" I asked and stood up from the table.
"I think we should give Clara a chance to apologize." Josh said, staring at Clara.
"Jeez, fine! I'm sorry, John!" She said.
"Clara, that's not enough. You've been very rude." Flea stood up and told his daughter. He began crying. "Don't you remember how John used to take care of you when you were little? You always drew pictures for him and called him the best uncle. He's done so much for you! John's been my friend for the past 22 years. I can't believe how you could sleep with his boyfriend and be so mean to him! That's not what you do to a friend!"
Flea wiped his tears and hugged me.
Clara came up to me and started sobbing.
"You're right, you did nothing wrong. You didn't deserve it. I'm acting childish and I'm jealous that Josh has you and I have no one. I'm sorry for my behavior and thank you for giving my daughter a chance at life." Clara told me, crying.
"Aww, come here!" I replied and opened my arms wide.
She hugged me and sobbed into my shoulder.
I felt a sense of relief. The tension between us was too much to bare. I really wanted to resolve this conflict before the baby was born.
I felt like Clara's apology was sincere.
"Don't cry, it's okay. I forgave you. I'll be forever grateful for bringing this little girl into my life." I said.
"You don't hate me?" She asked and looked me deep in the eyes.
"No, why would I? I know how it feels, I've been cheated on before and I've also been the cheater. I actually feel sorry for you, it obviously hadn't turned out how you expected it. I believe that everything happens for a reason and what happened between you and Josh was actually meant to happen." I told Clara.