A Good Impression

Every step I took as I grew closer to King Thranduil made my heart skip a beat. My hands grew sweatier, and I tried to keep my composure. A common elf like me doesn’t deserve to be so close to the king and the prince of the woodland realm, and I hoped that King Thranduil’s infamous wrath would not make an appearance today. Before I was to meet with the king of the woodland realm, Legolas told a servant to make me wear a white dress so that I would make a good impression, and I felt insulted when Legolas stated I should look more proper, but knowing that I will be face to face with both the king of the woodland realm and his son, a good impression is very much needed.

King Thranduil stood in between two palace guards. His chin rose higher when I finally entered his sight, and he gave off such an intimidating manner that I couldn’t help but let my body shake. 

Ada,” said Legolas. “This is Maeneth, the young woman we discussed of yesterday,”

King Thranduil remained silent for a moment and stepped forward, becoming even closer to me. I didn’t have a chance to look at him, for I was staring at the floor and figured it was improper of a common to look into the eyes of the king directly.

“Stop looking at the ground,” the words spat out of his mouth so bitterly. I tried to hide my hands that were could not stop trembling. “I want you to look at me,”

Melda tár, forgive me, “ I said quietly.

“I want you to know that it is a rare occasion that a common elf is hired as palace staff, therefore you shall be grateful for what I am doing for you,” spoke Thranduil. “You will work for me and for me only, and if I hear of any improper behavior, or if you do not obey my orders, you will leave this palace immediately,”

I simply nodded, and looked into the king’s eyes. Thranduil’s blue eyes were full of bitterness and anger, but at a moment there, I saw something that seemed unimaginable: a glimmer in his eyes. A glimmer I once saw during the days before the death of his wife.

“Take her to her chambers. Make sure that the servants give her a bath tomorrow and her new clothes,” Thranduil commanded. “She will start working tomorrow as the royal seamstress, and I request her appearance at my chambers at the morn after breakfast,”

An auburn-haired servant led me to my chambers, which was located near the kitchens. The heavy smell of pots and pans of food being cooked floating in the air were obviously going to distract me from my work, but I kept it to myself. When I entered my bedchambers I was amazed by how large it is in comparison to the bedroom back at home. A bed that was large enough for one person to sleep in sat in the middle of the room, and a wardrobe made of red wood stood on its right, along with a desk where I assume I’ll be doing most of my work.

The servant wished me luck and left the room, leaving me to settle myself in and getting to know my new bedroom better. I sat down on my bed, as my fingers felt the soft fabric covers against my skin. The two large windows on my right let rays of the sun into the room, shimmering against the wooden furniture.

I stood up and observed my work desk, and laid before me were a number of receptacles storing different needles of different sizes. But what I loved the most was the rainbow of threads in its, placed inside a wooden box with intricate patterns, along with metallic casket containing glittering little gems and jewels to elaborate all the clothes I will make in the future. 

I went back to the bed and realized I was getting wearier by the minute, and so without even changing my clothes, I slept soundly and comfortably.

A/N: Ada means father and Melda tár means my king.