First Day, First Challenge

The next morning I woke up earlier than I thought.

Yet I took notice of a new dress laid out on the desk for me, wrapped perfectly in thin fabrics. I assumed Maerwen or Faelwen left it for me here, because I heard the pitter patter of feet entering my bedroom when I was half asleep, or maybe my ears have deceived me. A note was left on my work desk too, and in perfect Elven writing with gracious curves in deep blue ink was written: From the King.

I admitted I blushed a little, but that blushing soon came to an end when I realized I only had half an hour to get ready for another appearance at the king’s bedchambers. I bathed as quickly as I could and dressed myself in the dress that was laid out on the work desk for me. As I gazed at the mirror I couldn’t help but admire the beauty of the dress. It had little detailing, except for a pink and gold flowers embroidered into its fabrics of white but the overall style of the dress was something my hands could not create. The fabrics itself too had a pattern on them that was highly unnoticeable unless you stood in the sunlight 

I brushed and braided my hair into a simple hairdo, one I’ve used often back at home, and headed straight towards the king’s chambers. I knew I was going to be late for I’ve forgotten where the king’s chambers were, and there wasn’t any palace guard to guide me there. I relied on my memory to take me to his chambers, and before I knew it I stood before the great red wood doors that led to his bedroom 

I knocked a few times, and waited for a response. A few seconds later the doors swung open, making a loud creaking noise that roared through the halls. It came to me as a big surprise when I noticed Thranduil was currently getting dressed, and I had interrupted him.

“Forgive me, my king,” I said. “I see that I have arrived too early,"

Thranduil turned around. His attire was completely informal, and was dressed only in his underclothes, which consisted of a cotton white tunic, which exposed a portion of his chest and deep brown trousers. His hair had not yet been brushed and completely unbraided. It was a rare occasion for a common elf to see the king in such a state, apart from his personal chambermaids I assume.

“It’s fine,” replied the king. “We shall take advantage of the time to discuss the clothing that I request. Go seat yourself in my office and take a sheet of paper and a pen to write down with, I’ll be with you in a few minutes,”

I nodded and scurried to the office, trying to forget what I had just seen. I felt utterly small in his large office space, and wondered how long it was going take before he threw me out of the palace and fired me due to my admittedly embarrassing behavior. Thranduil arrived later than I thought, and then he seated himself before me, now full dressed in his formal attire.

He sipped a wooden goblet of wine and then said, “I expect you to take note of all the things I am going to say,”

“Yes, my king,” I clutched the pen.

“Firstly, I request a formal attire for when I have dinner with my son. The colour scheme should be midnight blue with silver detailing, and I demand you place several white gems on the dress as well, and I want a pattern that is not too visible on the fabrics. Avoid using pearls; I detest them. The surcoat should end before my ankles, and the sleeves at my elbows,”

“I’m afraid I don’t have information of your size yet,”

“One of my chambermaids will give you that once you leave my chambers. And secondly, I request a special attire for my visits to Rivendell, and the colours shall consists purely of light grey but not white, and shades of light blues to make it seem more appropriate, so that I shall show my respect for the elves of Rivendell. The pattern shall be intricate and of water-like design, using rivers or seas as reference. I also would like to avoid using too much gems or any glittering ornaments on the garment, therefore I expect that you make it modest. The length of the clothing shall be similar to most of the length of my usual special attires. Are you following me, Maeneth?”

“Yes,” I replied quietly as I tried to write down everything in a fast speed. “Do you have any other request, my king?”

“No, that’ll be all. These are merely the first two attires that I shall assess you with, thus I expect that you give your best effort. If you do not, then there are grave consequences that may follow,” he said.

“I shall try my very best,”

“You will present to me two or three different versions of each of my request, and I expect that you shall finish by next week, 

“Next week, my king?”

“Yes, or are you too incompetent to finish it by next week?” Thranduil hissed.

By then I found myself dead silent and speechless, for I didn’t expect the king to be enraged by a single question. I kept on writing, and didn’t look at Thranduil in the eye once I regained my strength to face him. Thranduil too remained silent, and then sipped his goblet of wine again. Hopefully he was becoming aware of my dislike to his previous question, but I thought immediately that he wouldn’t care, and so would I 

“You may leave now,” said Thranduil in a low, gruff voice.

I immediately stood up, bowed at him, and left the room in a hurry. Once I entered my bedchambers I told myself I was not going to let this destroy my opportunity of becoming a great seamstress like my grandmother, and so I headed straight to work. I prepared all of the supplies I needed and requested fabrics by asking the palace guard nearby, and before I knew it my hands were getting weary from all the work, and that the clock had struck past midnight.

A/N: It was so difficult for me to write Thranduil being rude AF to Maeneth AKA thew new palace staff member.