Chapter 28 : Hopeless (Ep. 1|Part 1)

Josie's POV

Summer break. During summer break I usually go to Europe and spend time with my mom. But this year is different. Today's Lizzie's off to Europe while I'm staying behind. I felt like I had to stay and watch over my dad. Because ever since he lost his position as Headmaster he... well he lost a piece of himself. I feel really bad that I voted him out, but this was not the reaction I hoped to get. I wanted him to live his life and not be constantly stuck worrying about the school. And I felt guilty, so I decided to stay and watch over him. But that's not the only reason I'm staying.

Ever since the day Triad came to the school, something felt missing, but I have no idea what. The remaining days of school I felt Hopeless, like a big piece of who I am was gone. But as time went by it got a little better... I guess. But I still feel like something is gone. A part of me feels lonely and I don't know why. That's the other reason why I'm staying. I need to figure out what's missing. I need to find out why I feel empty inside when in reality I should be happy with how my life is right now. I need to figure out what's wrong, by myself.

Lizzie was not pleased when I told her I wanted to stay but she agreed after multiple failed attempts of trying to convince me. Lizzie's been trying to change ever since Triad came to school and the old Lizzie would have forced me to go whether I wanted to or not. So it's a  nice change that she now asks me for permission. Mom felt sad that I wanted to stay and thought I didn't want to spend time with her but I quickly reassured her that I also just needed to figure things out by myself, she was supportive after that and told me that she's always there for me. Dad was fine with whatever I wanted.

***

It's been a week since Lizzie left for Europe and things have been okay back here at home, but dad's still working on the Malivore pit, I have just been going to places and having a little bit of fun and relaxation, whilst researching about the merge. Lizzie's also helping me research the merge, well technically by helping I mean she's just bugging mom to get information, while I do the same to dad and also reading up on all the books about my coven. We keep up on our progress by talking using astral projection, we also talk about how our days went after our briefing.

Me and Lizzie are sprawled on my bed staring at the ceiling. With the object, we found inside the red box in between us.
"Mom didn't tell you anything else about this thing?" I ask.
"Only that it's called an Ascendant, and you and I made it with Aunt Bonnie when we were five." Lizzie responds.
"Does it have anything to do with the Merge?" I ask.
"I don't know. She's being cagey about it. I..." Lizzie then disappears. I sigh. The prism glows and she's back again.
"Sorry. Mom almost busted me." she apologizes.

"You know, we can Facechat like normal people." I grab the ascendant and walk to my dresser. "We aren't normal."
"And we need to keep our magic sharp over the summer." She says as sits on the bed. "How is therapy going?" I ask and pull out the red box. "Fine." she groans then her demeanor changes. "There is this sexy Swedish guy whose session is after me on Tuesdays. I think he's Swedish. Maybe Polish. Anyway, it doesn't matter. He is hot and crazy, and the language barrier will make it impossible for us to communicate. Just how I like it." she lays back on the bed.
"You should really work on that." I say as I look at her using the mirror.

"I'll add it to the list of broken pieces to glue together. What about you? Any hot summer dates?" she asks.
"Dad's been, like, my life plus-one ever since he got the headmaster boot. I honestly think he's going through a midlife crisis." I say and put the ascendant in the box.
"Gross. Hair growth?" "Bushy."
"Lady prospects?" "Lacking."
"Are you not having any fun at all?" she asks as she kneels on the bed. "What about Wee Willie Winkle?"
"Landon's been keeping to himself mostly. He's always off with Raf." I say.
"So ditch it all and come to Europe." Lizzie suggests.