Risk Everything We Have and Let Our Walls Cave In

Summary: Five times Steve and Natasha share a bed (plus one)

[one]

They were going undercover as a married couple in order to get into a gala the following night. It was award ceremony of some sort, and dozens of political figures and heads of major companies would be there, including the corrupt ones, so it was their job to get intel on the sale of alien weapons that was going down sometime in the next week.

Natasha hadn't wanted to bring Steve at first. It was abundantly clear that he was much more of a soldier than a spy, but Fury had insisted that since they were partners now, they had to work together. Plus, Nick had thought it would be good undercover training for Steve. So Natasha agreed, even though she hadn't really been given any other choice. But, she had to admit, Steve wasn't doing too terribly. He still wasn't a great liar. Like, at all. He still talked and acted awkwardly at times during their preparation rounds today, but he was a quick learner. He agreed at the start of this to let her take the lead, and by watching and studying her, he was doing...decently. Especially for having only been a SHIELD agent for six months.

As they were getting ready for bed that night, talking over the plan for tomorrow night, Natasha nearly laughed at the look on Steve's face as he stopped mid-sentence and stared at the single, king-sized bed in the room. They were pretending to be married, after all, so yeah, Hill had booked them a room with only one bed. Natasha had sort of forgotten about it until now, and apparently so had Steve. She was just finishing braiding her damp hair as he looked over at her, ears tinged slightly pink. It was cute, seeing Captain America blush at the prospect of sharing a bed with her, but god she hoped he didn't get that flustered tomorrow.

"I'll, um...I'll take the floor," he said, moving to grab one of the pillows off the huge bed.

Natasha shook her head and snatched it out of reach. "Don't be ridiculous, Rogers. The bed is plenty big for both of us."

He gave her a stern look, one that made lesser agents shrink, but she met his gaze stubbornly. After a moment, he exhaled sharply.

"Come on." Natasha patted the other side of the bed. "I don't bite. I'll even put a pillow between us if that'll make you feel better."

That seemed to make up his mind. His shoulders loosened and he gave a little laugh. He didn't laugh often, but it was starting to become more frequent as she slowly broke away at his shell. She couldn't blame him for being closed off sometimes, not when a little over six months ago, he'd come back into the world after seventy years of it moving on without him. Plus, she wasn't always the most open person either. Nick was encouraging her to change that. He wanted her to at least give it a genuine shot with Rogers. So, she was trying.

She smiled a little as Steve relented and crawled into the other side of the bed. For a moment, the only sound was the rustling of the covers and the creak of the mattress as they both got settled. Natasha leaned over and switched off the light, her back to Steve as she made herself comfortable. She lay there with her eyes open for a minute, adjusting to the darkness. She'd forgotten to take off the rings she was using for her cover and she watched them glint in the dim light coming in from the windows. They looked kind of nice, she decided, before quickly shoving that thought down deep. Still, rings and fake marriage aside, she was supposed to be trying, to show that she cared and wanted him as a partner.

"Goodnight, Rogers," she said quietly.

There was a pause, and for a moment she thought he'd already fallen asleep. Then, "Goodnight, Romanoff."

[two]

"Hey,"

Natasha looked up from examining her wound as Steve appeared in the doorway. She'd been ordered to rest before tomorrow, when the Helicarriers were to be launched, and they gave her one of the few rooms they had in the secret hideaway Fury had been in for the past few days when she'd thought he was dead.