Part 1

Bleep, Bleep, Bleep.

Kageyama groaned and sat up. He slapped the top of the alarm, silencing it. The sun blared into his eyes and temporarily blinded him. He sat there for a moment and then got up to close the curtains.

"Tobio!" his mother called him from downstairs.

"Coming, just give me a second."

He quickly threw on his clothes and checked his phone.

48 Missed Messages.

He groaned again and quickly scrolled through the Karasuno group chat. It was mostly a pointless conversation about manners between Ennoshita-san and Tsukishima. He clicked on the private message between Hinata and him. It had two messages:

KAGEYAMA, COME DOWN TO THE PARK NOW! 

This is serious, please come.

Kageyama stared at the text for a moment. Hinata never used caps unless he was happy, and this definitely wasn't happy. Kageyama dropped his phone into his jacket pocket and ran downstairs.

"I'll be back, mom," he said as he skidded past her.

"Where are you going?"

"Park."

"But you haven't had breakfast yet!"

"Bye."

~

He slowed to a jog when he arrived at the park. He pulled out his phone and began texting Hinata when he was interrupted by a hand wrenching his phone away.

"Hey!-" He looked up to see Hinata. His eyes were puffy and red, like he had cried recently.

"KAGEYAMA!"

"I'm right here, you don't need to shout, boke."

Hinata flung his arms around Kageyama and buried his head into his chest.

"Um," he stuttered, feeling his face turn hot. "You okay?"

"DO I LOOK OKAY?" Hinata screamed into his chest.

Kageyama sighed and wrapped his arms protectively around Hinata. He carried him over to a bench and sat down, resting his chin on Hinata's head. He gazed at the trees getting ready for winter and waited patiently for Hinata's breath to slow down. A minute later Hinata sniffed and wiped his eyes on Kageyama's shirt. Normally, he would've yelled at Hinata to find a tissue, but today he would let him stain his shirt a thousand times to be happy. Kageyama buried his nose into Hinata's hair.

"You smell good."

"Kageyama..."

"Hm?" he said, almost sleepily.

"Natsu's-," he broke off and a fresh round off tears fell down his face.

"Oi oi oi!" Kageyama rubbed the top of Hinata's head. "The sun isn't allowed to cry."

Hinata squeezed his eyes and let the rest of the tears spill out. 

"Sorry," he sniffed. "I didn't mean to make your shirt wet."

"You can cry into my shirt any day," Kageyama gave Hinata a smile. "Now tell me what's wrong."

Hinata gave a quivering sigh, "Natsu's sick."

"Sick? Like, flu sick or like-"

"Flu sick," he muttered. "I wish. She has cancer. We didn't find out until now, and it's- it's too late."

Kageyama let the news sink in. "How long does she have left?" He whispered.

"A couple of weeks at most."

"Shit," Kageyama pulled Hinata into a bear hug, who's comfort it was for, his or Hinata's, he didn't know.