Part 6

The week passed in a haze. Hinata was getting thinner and more depressed. He was becoming a shell of what he was before. He was a gray, half-dead teenager that looked so fragile that the smallest gust of wind would blow him away. Even his orange hair that Kageyama had grown to love seemed like a murky brown now. Kageyama had to practically beg on his hands and knees to get him to eat and drink. At school, people had started to notice the shift, too, although Kageyama doubted Hinata had told anyone else about the news. He walked around from class to class in a daze. It was like he was a programmed robot; raising his hand when he was supposed to, collected the homework at the end of class, and everything done with a stone-cold face that was starting to look like Tsukishima's I-don't-give-a-shit face. He didn't argue anymore and just nodded along to anything that anybody asked him. The usual excited and energetic demeanor of him was all but a ghost. He was even beginning to play volleyball like he didn't care about getting better. 

~

On Friday Kageyama checked the clock every five seconds. Finally, when volleyball ended Kageyama shoved his stuff into his bag and didn't bother to change back into regular clothes. 

"Oi! Kageyama, you have to change-." Ennoshita-san started.

"I'll give it back on Monday!" he interrupted.

Ennoshita-san gave him a weird look but nodded and turned back to see where Noya and Tanaka had gone. 

Despite Kageyama's unusual speed to clean up, Hinata stood outside, leaning against the wall of the gym. He looked up from his phone to see Kageyama looking down at him.

"Oh, hi," he muttered.

"Hey, you were fast." When Hinata didn't respond he continued. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah," he shouldered his bag which had been dumped carelessly on the dirty ground.

~

They got off the bus at Hinata's stop. Kageyama stretched from having to sit for so long, but Hinata walked past him towards his house. Kageyama watched him go for a second before running after him.

After a few minutes of walking they arrived at Hinata's house. He pulled out a key silently and unlocked the door. It swung open with an eerie creak. The front entrance way was filled with shadows from the small amount of sunlight that managed to sneak its way through the curtain.

"Nobody has really been home," Hinata explained. "With Natsu and all...."

Kageyama didn't know what to say, so instead he just nodded and continued down the hall. When they arrived at Hinata's room they dumped their bags on the floor and took out their homework. They mostly worked in silence, asking occational questions. Half an hour after they started Kageyama looked at Hinata. He was lying on his stomach with his chin resting on his hand. He seemed consentrated on his work and wore a slight pout on his face. It was strangely hot. Hinata paused and looked up, noticing Kageyama had stopped working.

"What?"

Kageyama sighed. "Hinata...."

"Yeah, that's me."

"You're sad."

Hinata blinked, but said nothing.

"You're sad about Natsu, but I think you're suppressing your emotions."

Hinata continued to stare at Kageyama.

"I know it's hard, but try... try to be happy for Natsu. Make her last memories happy ones."

Hinata flinched at the words 'last memories'.

"What did you say?" He hissed.

"You know what I said, and I stand by it. You're trying to ignore the fact that Natsu is going to-"

Kageyama didn't get to finish that sentence because Hinata had leaped on top of him.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?" he screamed.

Kageyama grunted and wrestled Hinata to the floor, "BAKA! TRY AND AT LEAST RECOGNIZE YOUR FEELINGS! I KNOW-"

"SHUT UP! YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FEELINGS! YOU'RE JUST A COLD HEARTED KING THAT ONLY CARES ABOUT STAYING AT THE TOP! YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TRYING TO CLAW YOUR WAY TO THE BEST! EVERY FUCKING THING WAS HANDED TO YOU ON A SILVER PLATER, SO DON'T TRY AND SAY THAT YOU KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING!"

Kageyama recoiled at his boyfriend's harsh words. He looked into his blazing brown eyes; they were filled with anger, but also something else. Sadness, regret... fear? Hinata seemed to realize what he said, and he took a deep breath to calm down.

Kageyama moved to touch his face, "Hinata...."

"Don't touch me," he turned away. Kageyama heard a faint quiver in his voice. "Go. Just go."

Kageyama lowered his hand, but made no move to leave.

"Please," Hinata croaked out.

"You shouldn't be alone-."

"Don't make me ask again."

Something snapped inside Kageyama. His boyfriend was so broken and lost that he couldn't even see the help right in front of him.

"Okay," he said, softly. He silently opened the door and stepped out.